>Blow THIS.

>While it was nice to see my picture in the pages of School Library Journal this month, I really need to whine about their over-generous application of quotation marks. Hell would freeze over before I would say, as I am quoted as doing in the March SLJ, “If we didn’t have a blog and Web site at Horn, I’d feel threatened, too.” The sentiment, I’ll take full credit for. But Horn? Horn?? The only people I have ever heard call the Horn Book Horn are overambitious young publicity assistants trying desperately to show how intime they are with the whole, you know, biz.

share save 171 16 >Blow THIS.

Comments

1. Mitali Perkins says:

>At least they didn’t add a “said Rog” tag line to the quote.

2. >Yo yo yo! Me an my peeps are gettin down wit some books at the Horn!

I must say that was oddly liberating. Though I’ve never actually heard anyone talk like that.

What’s more likely is that the writer typed an abbreviation while he was getting a quote, then forgot to unabbreviate it. I’m sure it’s happened to me a million times!

3. Elizabeth says:

>Ok, Melinda, I take your point about the quote, but I did actually hear someone say (or type) “The Horn” once. Eons ago,before blogs, AOL had a Tuesday night children’s book chat. Writers and others interested would log on and there was a guest. One week the guest was Roger, and a young man got on and complained that he couldn’t get a job in Boston publishing because he couldn’t get an internship at “The Horn.” Roger replied “First of all, we don’t call it ‘The Horn…’” and I thought to myself “This guy’s toast.” I also remember a different man asking why Roger hadn’t reviewed his self-published work, “Rooker the Manatee.”
    By the way, does anyone know, are those chats archived somewhere in AOL land? They used to be…

4. fusenumber8 says:

>I still say it should be called “HoBo”. If we’re going to be completely ridiculous, that is.

5. KT Horning says:

>I’m just sorry they deleted your line about the ALSC Dragon Ladies (women librarians 50 and older), which was my favorite part of the original online version of the story, especially as it was positioned to make me look like the Chief Dragon Lady.

I’m still working on my fire-breathing routine for Annual Conference, in any case. Hope you like your Newbery Banquet steak well-done.

>KT–the online version itself omitted my own inclusion among the ranks of dragon ladies, so the dais is going to be positively aflame! Heh.

7. kt horning says:

>Roger, you’re always welcome in the Dragon Ladies club. Just don’t forget to wear your white gloves.