>March-April Horn Book Magazine

>Selections from the new issue of the Horn Book are up at our website, including a survey of Fredrick and Patricia McKissack’s work by Barbara Bader, Jonathan Hunt on the Printz Award, and me, in both an editorial and a review, explaining just why we need to make a big fuss about The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Check out the web extras and webwatch as well.

I’ll be away until Monday, yammering on about the last forty years in YA literature at the Center for Children’s Books at the University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign. Come on down.

share save 171 16 >March April Horn Book Magazine

Comments

1. >As always, thanks for the new Horn Book issue update. I’ll be sure to grab it out of our cataloging librarian’s tight grasp to read.

I’ll look forward to your observations after the lecture. Sigh, you need to come to Pitt or Kent State for lectures! ;-)

>Thanks for posting this!

And as for “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”…It is such an astonishing book at all levels! Flawless, intelligent, and impeccable storytelling.

May it be nominated (and perhaps win!) *BOTH* the Caldecott and the Newbery this year!

M

3. rindawriter says:

>yes, thanks for all the ‘GOODIES” and will enjoy them as always, but Roger? Are you sure? Yammering?

From the OED
    yammer
    informal

• verb 1 talk loudly and incessantly. 2 make a loud, incessant noise.

• noun loud and sustained noise.

— ORIGIN Old English, to lament.

I am certaine you will do more than yammer, yes, I think so and perhaps all of these as well…

Speak? appeal? testify? declaim? declare? address? express? Communicate??

Again from the OED:

speak

• verb (past spoke; past part. spoken) 1 say something. 2 (speak to) talk to in order to advise, pass on information, etc. 3 communicate in or be able to communicate in (a specified language). 4 (speak for) express the views or position of. 5 (speak out/up) express one’s opinions frankly and publicly. 6 (speak up) speak more loudly. 7 (of behaviour, an event, etc.) serve as evidence for something. 8 (speak to) appeal or relate to. 9 make a speech.

— PHRASES speak in tongues speak in an unknown language during religious worship, regarded as one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2). speak one’s mind express one’s opinions frankly. speak volumes convey a great deal without using words.

— ORIGIN Old English.

Don’t Y’all just LOVE the English language! Tastes SO good….

4. Rosemary Graham says:

>I’m looking forward to your editorial and review, Roger. (I didn’t see them linked, did I miss something?) My daughter (8) and I tore through _Hugo Cabret_ in two nights. It could have been one if we’d had the energy and if I’d been willing to send her to school several hours shy of a decent night’s sleep. It is that good and that compelling. And gorgeous.

When _American Born Chinese_ won the Printz, I was taken aback, because the graphic novel seems to me to be a different medium, much more visual than literary. (I mean “literary” in the most generic sense of the word, having to do with language and letters.) I’d assumed that literary quality the Printz was awarded for was about writing and so I didn’t cheer along with those who saw it as validation of the graphic novel. (This isn’t a statement about the quality of ABC–it’s a gorgeous, gorgeous book–but a question of genre.)

Selznick’s novel, on the other hand, is as literary as it is visual. As dependent on language as it is image.

>Rosemary,

AMERICAN BORN CHINESE has words and pictures just like HUGO CABRET does. If one is “literary” than so is the other one. No hairsplitting.

Jonathan

>Well, I’m just sittin pretty like Dionne Warwick (“Deja vu . . . vould this be the dream that I once knew?”) in Betsy Hearne’s office at my old stomping grounds at the BCCB, waiting to Go On (in half an hour). I’m wearing my Fitzhughesque purple socks for luck and looking forward to the post-yammering (Yes, Rinda, the dictionary has it exactly) cookies.

8. Mitali Perkins says:

>Wish I could have been there, but the purple socks might have been a bit too distracting for me. I’ll wait for the cyber-recap. But I know you were superb because you offer the perfect mix of classic (keeping track of conversations in the past so we don’t repeat ourselves), contemporary (blogging regularly to inspire new conversations), and challenging (not afraid to speak the truth, even when it hurts). Will there be a transcript available soon?

9. >I’m sure the purple socks were in the best of taste (*smile*), especially since it is the color or royalty and nobility.

How appropriate is that?

Hoping the cookies were good…

10. rindawriter says:

>I heard an author speak one time about creativity…she recommended doing creative things in bare feet to feel “the vibrations,” but likely the constraints of our civilization will not allow bare-footed speaking about books for young people…hmmm, wonder what would happen if it did? Or if we all wore more colors on our feet? HMmmmm, I think I’m going to get me some more colors for my feet…too cold to go barefoot just yet….

11. >Yay for Hugo Cabret! I took it with me to read at a middle school for Read Across America. It is a K-8 school at which I used to teach and so as I went back and forth between the elementary side and the middle school side (my kiddos are now 6th graders!) I left Hugo with my 6th graders passing it around like a delicious secret. I saw so many kids writing down the title and flipping back through Selznick’s sketches. Watching the way they marveled over this book was like watching the flashback scene of some famous lovers meeting for the first time. You know? The one that makes you say “That moment. Right there.” They actually started a discussion about graphic novels as literature and stepping stones for struggling readers! I love it. Yes, Roger, Hugo needs a Hugo Fuss!
    ~bryn

12. >While I am enjoying HUGO CABRET a lot, I am wanting more words. Not less pictures, you understand–but more words.

Jane