>Scaring me

>What with avoiding writing and having a cold and pissing off bloggers left and right and all, I’ve been spending the last couple of days looking at a lot of book blogs. Many of them feature sidebar ads from Amazon.com, and while I have no problem with that, I’ve noticed that the books featured therein are based on the stuff I’ve been looking up at Amazon, not on the content of the blog I’m looking at. I assumed children’s book blogs would have ads for children’s books, but I keep seeing ads for Leon Uris’s Trinity–and I was researching his Exodus the other day. It reminds me of my favorite book review line: “This book follows Linda, a sixteen-year-old stalking victim.”

How long, asked George and Ira, has this been going on?

share save 171 16 >Scaring me

Comments

>I think the blogs should have a blog-off to see whose posting can inspire the most responses. Then at the end of the year you could have awards. The Gored Ox awards perhaps. Participants must be 18 years or older. ESPECIALLY on the children’s book blogs.

>i don’t know about the amazon ads on blogs, but this reminded me of a friend who was spun into crisis when her gmail ads started asking things like “are you lonely?” and “will you be single forever?” right after a nasty breakup. the whole situation ended with her, in her office, yelling “DON’T YOU JUDGE ME, GOOGLE! I DON’T NEED THIS FROM YOU!” at her computer screen.

so true.

betty

3. >I would hazard a guess the amazon blog widget (sidebar ad) “knows” your are signed in and is following your trail with cookies, hence the featured books reflecting what you were looking at instead of a children’s book.

So it would not matter that the blog in question was children’s literature related, it only cares what you are looking for on amazon.

>Do I look like Hansel and Gretel?

5. >Nah … but amazon doesn’t care what we look like as long as we buy!

;-)

>Please, oh please, can you re-post what was “removed by a blog administrator?” I can’t be the only curious cat around here…you could even edit it as you see fit!

7. >Big brother is watching you. Yes, you’ve left a trail of bread crumbs in your wake. Or at least cookies. Amazon.com has a special kind of ad that affiliates can post on a web site or blog which displays books of interest to the viewer, based on their searching and buying history, as well as those related to the content of the page. It is rather spooky when you encounter it.

>Nine times out of ten, at least, and at least on this blog, the “comment has been removed by adminstrator” message comes up when I’ve deleted a duplicate message or spam. So you didn’t miss anything. Sorry.

9. >That freaked me right out the first time I noticed it, too.

>who are “George and Ira” and why should we care for their opinion?

11. >George and Ira are the Gershwins, who wrote How long has this been going on.

The thing I hate about the Amazon tracking thingy is that I feel I’m being unfairly pigeon-holed. I might be looking something up for a review or something related to a reference question and somehow Amazon then decides it’s something I’m interested in. I wish there was a way to tell them “I’m looking this up but I’m NOT interested in it, really!”

12. >Actually, there is a way to tell Amazon you’re not interested in something. Make sure you’re logged in, and click on the “your name’s Amazon.com” tab at the top. Then you can scroll down to “View and edit your browsing history” and “View and edit your recently viewed items.” From there, you can clear your history or remove items individually from it. Of course, you can also delete the cookies from your computer.

>Gershwins!! of course!! you should have a literacy test for admission to the dialogue!

14. >Or a courtesy test….

15. >I think it all has to do with background…I got the Gershwin thing because I’m 50, I like jazz “etcetera, etcetera, etcetera”.

I’m sure the fresh young things out there might not know where that quote came from.

Sorry, I digress. I’m going to start deleting my cookies, except the chocolate chip ones. Oh boy, stream of consciousness is taking over.

B from OH

16. >Ace (the band) also said “How long has this been going on.”

17. rindawriter says:

>I have now become TOTALLY CONVERTED to indepdendent booksellers only in cyberspace. I WAS using the Big-A thingie (I refuse to have those squeakers’ full name next to mine anymore in cyberspace, then I quit ousing them on my own accord because they are just too big and all-powerful, and NOW, I am REALLY CONVERTED…to Powell’s first becuase they answered my plea first and soon to BookSense!!!! And a few more indenpendies too if I can help it….I feel like I stumbled using the Big-A there for a short while, but now I’m going to walk the talk in cyberspace…