>Two more reasons not to vote for him.

From the NY Times:

When asked his favorite novel in an interview shown yesterday on the Fox News Channel, Mitt Romney pointed to “Battlefield Earth,” a novel by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. That book was turned into a film by John Travolta, a Scientologist.

A spokesman said later it was one of Mr. Romney’s favorite novels.
“I’m not in favor of his religion by any means,” Mr. Romney, a Mormon, said. “But he wrote a book called ‘Battlefield Earth’ that was a very fun science-fiction book.”

Terrible taste. Lousy grammar.

share save 171 16 >Two more reasons not to vote for him.

Comments

1. >Oh dear. What was he thinking?

2. Monica Edinger says:

>Needs an editor?

>Or a muzzle.

4. Elaine Magliaro says:

>Or maybe a little more gray matter. That’s what comes from hunting varmints all your life!

>CONSIDER THE POSSIBILITY THAT HE HAS NEVER ACTUALLY READ THE BOOK BUT IS ATTRACTED BY THE TITLE, BECAUSE IT MAKES HIM THINK OF THE WAR ON TERROR

6. Kelly Fineman says:

>Anonymous had half a point, but I also consider that he’s pandering to Scientologists. Just about any other sci-fi books make more sense to me as choices. Hell, even a Barbara Cartland romance makes more sense to me than that pick.

>I have to say that I give him credit for an honest answer (as mine would be Scruples) rather than going for a more politically useful, cynical choice. I still hope the Dems use it to make mincemeat out of him.

8. J. L. Bell says:

>As literary criticism Romney’s statement is no great shakes, but before we condemn his sentence structure, let’s please consider that it was an off-the-cuff remark.

9. kbookwoman says:

>Why not save “attacks” for behavior and policies. This kind of posting seems unkind rather than productive.

10. >I’m just surprised he responded with the title of a science fiction book at all.

11. Melinda says:

>I gotta say that my grammar’s more badder than his.

>do politicians ever make “off the cuff” remarks?

>I wonder if Mitt has ever even read a book!!! He probably remembers this title from an airport gift shop while buying gum!!

>Forgive me, but I am simply not going to worry about being unkind to Mitt Romney. Why should his off-the-cuff remarks not be fair game? And considering how often he has changed his tune on so many subjects, it’s kind of hard to tell just when we are supposed to believe what comes out of his mouth.

>let’s all hit on Mitt!

16. shahairyzad says:

>”And considering how often he has changed his tune on so many subjects, it’s kind of hard to tell just when we are supposed to believe what comes out of his mouth.”

Exactly! The choice of novels is really a reflection of his inner conflict: “Battlefield Mitt.” (Never having read the book, I can only hope it ends with a total meltdown.)