>Bounced Back

>As a few people have noted on last week’s crankypants post, the SLJ site (and the unstoppable Fuse) are rid of the tawdry bijoux that decorated them. It’s safe to go back.

share save 171 16 >Bounced Back

Comments

>A happy ending and another post that could have been filed under the heading “People Are Not Inherently Evil.” Although that might have been pushing your luck.

2. rindawriter says:

>Wow! It worked! Talking about it on the Net worked! Wow! Word power, word power….love it….

3. Elizabeth Fama says:

>Grumble, grumble, I still hate all the big, bright ads that surround her text. Once you scroll away from the blinking offenders at the top, and ignore the junk on the side, you make your way to the bottom and there’s a car ad, or something else completely off-topic.

Are you really satisfied with just removing the bouncing VOYA announcement? I’m not that silenced, yet.

4. fusenumber8 says:

>Ah, but there is always the lovely RSS feed instead. Then again, it’ll still bounce you back if you want the full text…

5. elizabeth fama says:

>”If you want the full text”? I hang on every word, Betsy.

But I’ll look into the feed. I’ve never used one before.

>Sorry, I can’t begrudge SLJ (or any blog or website) its ads. While its true that many blogs are maintained as hobbies, their only cost measured in the blogger’s time and internet fees, others, like SLJ, HB, PW, etc. are part of a business, with costs in salaries and production. In a perfect world, blog-readers would be so wowed by the content here that they would either a) pay to read it or b) subscribe to our print publications. This is why you are seeing more and more c), advertising.

It’s only a problem when it makes enough readers hostile, and each person’s threshold is different. I read Salon far less frequently than I used to, for example, because the pay off for the click-through ad seems less than it used to be, and there’s plenty of stuff to read elsewhere. When I first started blogging, I regularly read dozens of others (both out of interest and education) but my time and taste have made me more selective. Advertising in and of itself is no deal-breaker for me, though–just don’t make it bounce!

7. elizabeth fama says:

>I object to flashing, flash animation, and pop-ups (which I’ve blocked) as well. There’s my threshold. Although today when I went to Fuse #8, nothing flashed, and there were no car or Colgate ads. Hooray.

The whole subject of ad revenue fascinates me, though. I’d like to see some numbers. Doesn’t the advertising web site get only a couple of pennies per ad? If so, what level of traffic is required to pay for the production of the site? And how much traffic do you lose when you switch over to ads?

I have no idea, but it seems like only “Askaninja” (who is the worst sell-out on the Internet, according to my son) makes significant money from ads. Everyone else just loses readers. It doesn’t seem like it’s worth the sacrifice if you’re only paying your monthly $9.95 Dreamhost fee with your ad revenue.

One of your readers is sure to set me straight on this topic, and I welcome the education.