>He Knows When You’re Asleep at the Wheel, Too

>Yep, it’s 96 degrees out there but we’ve started pulling together our “Holiday Books” review section for the November issue. We will have some good books to tell you about there, I promise, but meanwhile I thought I would mention three concepts that might need to go back to Santa’s workshop for some retooling:

–celebrating Hanukkah with a dreidel piñata

–giving the crippled kid magical legs while the rest of the family gets real presents

–a Santa who can’t stop farting

The elves are waiting for your call.

share save 171 16 >He Knows When Youre Asleep at the Wheel, Too

Comments

1. Chris Barton says:

>Oh, sure — blame Santa.

2. >The question begs to be asked: Does the Santa suffering from flatulence have a dog named Walter?

>Not related, but where else to post it? Harry Potter fans MUST read an article in the August 13/20 issue of THE NATION. “Harry Potter and the Half-baked Epic” by Lakshmi Chaudhry. Hilarious!

4. Monica Edinger says:

>magical legs or what — underwear?

5. >Oh Roger, you are always good for a laugh.

Thank you for the forewarning.

6. >Are you saying those were published? Seriously?

>Yes. I didn’t name the guilty, because, after all, it’s Christmas. Let the dreidel ring!

8. Elaine Magliaro says:

>Roger,

I have a few questions I hope might be able to answer for me:

1. Is the dreidel pinata filled with potato latkes and applesauce?

2. Are the magical legs made of flesh and blood, peppermint sticks…or are they robotic?

3. Does Mrs. Claus put a bottle of Beano or Gas-X in Santa’s stocking?

Inquiring minds want to know.

>I have a Dreidel and Pinata book- also a Crippled Lamb one-Does that count?

So I will pass on those, but the Santa one will leave all the boys laughing! Does it come with a plush Santa doll that does not Ho Ho Ho, but you know? HA!

I am actually looking at fall lists right now. I see Audrey Wood’s A Dog Needs a Bone (Scholastic), Mem Fox’s Where the Giant Sleeps (Harcourt), Mo Willems’ Knuffle Bunny, Too (Hyperion), Sherman Alexie’s The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (Little Brown), Cynthia Rylant’s Walt Disney: Cinderella (Disney Press), Avi’s Iron Thunder- The Battle of The Monitor and the Merimac (Hyperion), and of course I can’t wait for Jon Scieszka’s Cowboy and Octupus (Viking).

My son and I can’t wait!

A.D.

10. brian floca says:

>If we could get all three of those concepts into a single book, it just might work.

>I smell . . . Caldecott!

12. rindawriter says:

>Oh, my, my, my! And are we to call these imaginative books? And these got into PRINT?

There has GOT to be diference somewhere between imaginative and just plain stupid, I suppose…but my imaginator fails me right now as to how to precisely define books with themes/plots like these.

I hope these sorts of rejects don’t go to charities. I hope, fervently, they get recycled with giant robot shredders.

13. >This may be slightly off topic, but i was in LA recently and saw a giant billboard outside a church that said, “What Would Jesus Drink? Free Starbucks after Sunday Mass!!!”

It may not be kids book related, but it is another Christmas figure being coopted into the realm of the absurd…

>I’m surprised that there are no TRANSFORMER books.

>Fartsy Claus?!?

Oh, lord…you’ve got to be joking me.