>A different movie

>Claire is going to be reviewing The Golden Compass for you all, so let me skip my opinions on that for the moment to recommend what we saw as the first half of our Saturday night double-feature: Enchanted. Pretty hilarious if insidious, too, wrapping a Disney-princess-power theme in so many layers of parody and sincerity that your head spins. Blacks and gays provide comic relief.

share save 171 16 >A different movie

Comments

1. Mitali Perkins says:

>I felt bad about my snarky take on Enchanted until I read the “>comment on my post from a father who saw the film through his nine-year-old Jewish daughter’s eyes.

>I didn’t read McDreamy and Elphaba as Jewish but maybe I missed something. I think all the rest–the creepy gay guy, the neck-rolling black woman, the peddler, cab driver, etc., are meant to be part of the satire on how Disney treats the Other. This makes it less of a kids’ movie, though, as they won’t get the joke.

3. Mitali Perkins says:

>You’re a better sport than me, Roger. I still think spoofs and satire work better when they’re done from the margins, not when a powerful empire tries to make fun of itself.

>For what’s it worth, I asked my Jewish boyfriend about this and he says it never occurred to him that the Dempsey and Menzel characters were meant to be Jewish.

5. Mitali Perkins says:

>Really? Dempsey seemed generic to me, but I felt like the filmmakers were underlining Menzel’s Jewishness from the get go. Maybe it’s because I live in Newton.

6. Monica Edinger says:

>Sorry to be obtuse, but what does living in Newton have to do with it?

I’m afraid I didn’t see it either. Don’t know if Menzel herself is Jewish, but my little student who played the lawyer’s daughter sure is.

7. Mitali Perkins says:

>Newton is the type of town where many — not just some — strive to be aware of and talk about the existence and/or possibility of anti-Semitism and racism in general. Menzel is Jewish, which I didn’t know before I saw the movie. Your student was terrific, by the way, the highlight of the film for me.

>在翻译联盟和中国翻译协会深圳翻译公司|联合主办,主题“翻译与多元文化”。这是国际翻译同声传译在亚洲举行的第一次盛会,是促进亚洲翻译界与国际翻译界交流与合作的大好时机。
    广州翻译公司今年广交会不允许外商自带翻译入场,但还是有很多翻译公司|已有生意合作意向的外商,在全国翻译公司中找外语导游当翻译,进行“场外商贸洽谈”。
    同声传译现在上海翻译公司英语、日语、法语等语种导游储备充足,深圳翻译公司|也是随着参加广交会的巴西、西班牙等西班牙语系以及阿拉伯语国家的客商提供深圳翻译大幅增多,使小语种导游产生巨大缺口,其中来自巴西的外商比去年多了翻译公司