>A different movie

>Claire is going to be reviewing The Golden Compass for you all, so let me skip my opinions on that for the moment to recommend what we saw as the first half of our Saturday night double-feature: Enchanted. Pretty hilarious if insidious, too, wrapping a Disney-princess-power theme in so many layers of parody and sincerity that your head spins. Blacks and gays provide comic relief.

Horn Book at Simmons Colloquium: Transformations
SummerTeen On October 2-3 2015, join an esteemed group of award-winning authors, illustrators, librarians, and other children’s book experts and aficionados in Boston, MA, for a memorable two-day event celebrating the best in children’s and young adult literature. Confirmed speakers include 2015 BOSTON GLOBE HORN–BOOK AWARD recipients Candace Fleming, Marla Frazee, Jon Agee, Gregory Maguire, and Neal Shusterman, plus a special keynote appearance by Susan Cooper.

1. Mitali Perkins says:

>I felt bad about my snarky take on Enchanted until I read the “>comment on my post from a father who saw the film through his nine-year-old Jewish daughter’s eyes.

>I didn’t read McDreamy and Elphaba as Jewish but maybe I missed something. I think all the rest–the creepy gay guy, the neck-rolling black woman, the peddler, cab driver, etc., are meant to be part of the satire on how Disney treats the Other. This makes it less of a kids’ movie, though, as they won’t get the joke.

3. Mitali Perkins says:

>You’re a better sport than me, Roger. I still think spoofs and satire work better when they’re done from the margins, not when a powerful empire tries to make fun of itself.

>For what’s it worth, I asked my Jewish boyfriend about this and he says it never occurred to him that the Dempsey and Menzel characters were meant to be Jewish.

5. Mitali Perkins says:

>Really? Dempsey seemed generic to me, but I felt like the filmmakers were underlining Menzel’s Jewishness from the get go. Maybe it’s because I live in Newton.

6. Monica Edinger says:

>Sorry to be obtuse, but what does living in Newton have to do with it?

I’m afraid I didn’t see it either. Don’t know if Menzel herself is Jewish, but my little student who played the lawyer’s daughter sure is.

7. Mitali Perkins says:

>Newton is the type of town where many — not just some — strive to be aware of and talk about the existence and/or possibility of anti-Semitism and racism in general. Menzel is Jewish, which I didn’t know before I saw the movie. Your student was terrific, by the way, the highlight of the film for me.