>The Cybils Speak

>The winners of the 2007 Cybil Awards have been announced. A group project of the children’s-book blogosphere, the Cybils attend to both literary quality and child appeal. Losers I’m most interested in hearing the gossip on: Shaun Tan’s The Visit [ed: OOPS, The Arrival] and Sherman Alexie’s Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I thought they’d be shoo-ins.

share save 171 16 >The Cybils Speak

Comments

1. >Not to mention Hugo Cabret, which must have been a loser in at least five categories.

2. >The Arrival?

>Hugo wasn’t a finalist, so I’d already resigned myself there. And, yes, DUH, The Arrival, which I consistently misname. The Visit is a very good novel by T. Degens and a deeply embarrassing musical starring Chita Rivera.

4. >Yay for Smekday, my own favorite book of the year…

Ruth

5. >Hooray for SMEKDAY!
    Way to go, J. Lo and Tip!

6. >I think the point of the Cybils is that there are no shoo-ins. It’s supposed to go its own way.

7. MotherReader says:

>I was surprised when Hugo didn’t make the finalists list – and that was before the Caldecotts, so it couldn’t have been a matter of “well, it already won that.”

8. >I’ve been scratching my head over The Arrival’s lack of a Cybil as well. The Artemis Fowl graphic novel won? WHY?

I’m going to speculate that the judging committee were looking at the finalists based on their child-appeal, and I suppose it could be argued that Fowl — with its mud-farting dwarf– has that. But more than Tan’s work? Hmmm.

Anyone wanna say otherwise?

9. >roger — a musical of the durrenmatt play, huh? bizarre.

10. >There is something about The Arrival that scared me. My son “Looked” through it and didn’t pick it back up. I guess that was the kid appeal!

11. david elzey says:

>I don’t know if it counts as gossip, but I discussed some of my thinking behind my decisions on the graphic novel panel at my other blog. Try here:

12. stacy-dekeyser says:

>”Absolutely True Diary” was a finalist, so I think it’s safe to say it was considered the cream of the crop, anyway.
    As a member of the YA nominating committee, I was blown away by the number of wonderful books we read. By the end, it got to be a matter of comparing apples to oranges to…first press extra virgin olive oil. So many delicious flavors! How can you call one “better” than all the others?
    I’m just glad I only had to help choose 7 finalists and not ONE winner. I had a hard enough time narrowing it down to 7!

13. Sarah Miller says:

>So ah, just what sort of gossip are you fishing for? And do you offer bribes?

Seriously now…
    Granted, I’m not allowed to blab, but as a YA judge, I’d still be interested in knowing more specifically what’s on your mind regarding the YA choices.

14. J. L. Bell says:

>Folks have mentioned Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel and The Arrival. It’s important to recall that we Cybils judges weren’t asked to compare those two books. They were short-listed in different age categories.

>Yes, David Elzey linked above to a thoughtful post on the difference between considering The Arrival as middle grade and as YA. It’s a tough call when there are no words and the characters are adults.

16. Chris Rettstatt says:

>I was a judge in the Fantasy / Science Fiction category, so I don’t have any gossip on the two titles mentioned. However, I’m glad to see others are as excited about Smekday as I was.

17. Andrew Ogus says:

>Much as I love Shaun Tan’s The Arrival, a brilliant distillation of the immigrant experience, I think it may have more appeal for adults than kids — even young adults. Perhaps it should be distributed in newcomer highschools.

18. >(Slaps forehead)

That’s right — I had forgotten that The Arrival and Artemis Fowl were in different age groups.

As for the book’s appeal to kids, I suppose I was swayed greatly by Monica Edinger’s fascinating series of posts about teaching The Arrival to her fourth graders. Here’s a sampling:

Just for the record, I enjoyed Artemis Fowl – I think the transition to graphic novel was brilliant, but it’s hard not to get uppity when you see a favorite book get passed over. :-)