>Yes, and you’re not helping

>Woman to man this evening, overheard as I’m jogging by: “Your English skills are deplorable.”

Horn Book at Simmons Colloquium: Transformations
SummerTeen On October 2-3 2015, join an esteemed group of award-winning authors, illustrators, librarians, and other children’s book experts and aficionados in Boston, MA, for a memorable two-day event celebrating the best in children’s and young adult literature. Confirmed speakers include 2015 BOSTON GLOBE HORN–BOOK AWARD recipients Candace Fleming, Marla Frazee, Jon Agee, Gregory Maguire, and Neal Shusterman, plus a special keynote appearance by Susan Cooper.

>I’ll bite. Anonymously. I see the rudeness, but where’s the irony? Is there a usage error? My dictionary says: deplorable, adjective, deserving strong condemnation.

>Well, my point was that you probably wouldn’t use an SAT word like deplorable to tell someone his English wasn’t good.

>RS has missed her point. She isn’t misusing the word – she wants to hurt him by criticizing something which she knows he takes pride in: his usage.

>I think Anonymous has missed MY point and is reading more into this overheard exchange than we possibly can. (And so may I be.)

5. first anonymous says:

>Ah, I get it.

Maybe his vocabulary is excellent even though his usage is deplorable?

Let’s move on.

>I don’t think of “deplorable” as an SAT word. My kids would use it.

7. >Dude, sign my kids up for whatever her kids are having.

My kids would use it.