>Yes, and you’re not helping

>Woman to man this evening, overheard as I’m jogging by: “Your English skills are deplorable.”

share save 171 16 >Yes, and youre not helping

Comments

>I’ll bite. Anonymously. I see the rudeness, but where’s the irony? Is there a usage error? My dictionary says: deplorable, adjective, deserving strong condemnation.

>Well, my point was that you probably wouldn’t use an SAT word like deplorable to tell someone his English wasn’t good.

>RS has missed her point. She isn’t misusing the word – she wants to hurt him by criticizing something which she knows he takes pride in: his usage.

>I think Anonymous has missed MY point and is reading more into this overheard exchange than we possibly can. (And so may I be.)

5. first anonymous says:

>Ah, I get it.

Maybe his vocabulary is excellent even though his usage is deplorable?

Let’s move on.

>I don’t think of “deplorable” as an SAT word. My kids would use it.

7. >Dude, sign my kids up for whatever her kids are having.

My kids would use it.