>I have watched Tim Gunn, and I, sir, am no Tim Gunn.

>. . . so what do I tell the lovely Rachel Smith, who will be making her Newbery-Caldecott banquet debut this Sunday and wants to know What to Wear?

share save 171 16 >I have watched Tim Gunn, and I, sir, am no Tim Gunn.

Comments

1. Monica Edinger says:

>Since Nina Lindsay has to dress officiously for a change (being on the dais as Newbery chair) I suggest that Rachel take up her mantle and explore something devilish (like the mask Nina wore in New Orleans), silly (her hippo Martha attire honoring Wilder winner James Marshall), or something equally original.

>You remind me of the great Saint George and the Dragon gown Janice Del Negro wore the year Hyman won the Caldecott.

3. >I’ve had a devil of a time figuring this out. How do you dress with Good Masters, Sweet Ladies in mind? Monica actually had a brilliant idea which she told me the other day, but since she didn’t give it away here I’ll stay mum as well.

4. Sara Z. says:

>All I can say is that after my National Book Award experience I wish I’d spent about 80% less time worrying about what to wear and instead focused that on enjoying the experience. I also wish I’d spent 80% less money on what I did wear.

5. Elizabeth says:

>I yearn for the days when people (so I’ve been told) really turned it out for the banquet and wore gowns. This is our big event, what’s wrong with dressing up? Rachel’s challenge is that she lives in sartorially-challenged Boston (I grew up there, so I can say that) and gets paid a Horn Book salary. My advice? Classic basics, such as a silk tank with matching or complimentary silk pants or a skirt, good dressy shoes, and then a flashy top or wrap, which would be a single item that she could use again and again.

Yes, I’m answering the question seriously. And I’ll be taking my own advice, since as of this writing I plan on wearing a great jacket over black separates and snazzy black patent kitten-heeled pumps. At my age I can’t stand at the cocktail party on heels any higher.

>OMG, no comments yet on the fabulosity of the event?

>For God’s Sake, Man, tell us what she wore!

Non

8. >Brian Selznick gets my vote for Best Dressed Ever. If I had anything to add to Elizabeth’s sound advice about the banquet, it would be to wear sequins. Or sparkles. Or both. Bonus points if you’re a guy. And the man in question wore Swarovski crystals. And made a brilliant speech. You can’t get better than that.