>"Moore being Moore"

>I wish I had thought of this earlier, but we published a far more perceptive account of ACM and her little ways than did that upstart New Yorker. Read Barbara Bader’s take here.

share save 171 16 >"Moore being Moore"

Comments

1. >Wow, thanks for this! ACM was a genuine force for the good, and if she had faults and flaws, why then so do we all. I celebrate this champion of good books for children. And salute the Horn Book for carrying the banner even in our crazy, media-obsessed age. Thanks, Roger.

>Little House Books, Good Night Moon and Charlotte’s Web are still around and ACM is not!

Some people don’t get that children’s books are really written for kids- Not just Librarians that were never kids!!!

>Newsflash–Laura Ingalls Wilder, Margaret Wise Brown, and E. B. White are also dead. Their work lives on–as does ACM’s.

>I think the Horn Book just doesn’t like criticisms of critics. Too close to home!

5. Elizabeth says:

>Oh, I remember that great article from Barbara. I was really happy to see the piece in the New Yorker, because I’m always glad when the rich and fascinating world of children’s books is written about in the wider world. But I will admit that I felt the author must have leaned a lot more heavily on Leonard Marcus’ scholarship than she acknowledged.

And I still think there could be a really creepy book about an adult with a little wooden doll that makes tyrannical demans.

>”Nicholas wants to light the story candle himself.”

7. janeyolen says:

>I think Neil Gaiman must have already written that story.

Jane

PS Anonymous is certainly cranky pants today.

>”Annie’s not heeere, Mrs. Belpre.”

9. >Elizabeth, see if you can track down a copy of Ruth M Arthur’s “A Candle In her Room”–creepy doll novel par excellence! (I’m afraid I don’t get Roger’s Mrs Belpre quote. Maybe it didn’t travel south of the equator… any clues, Roger? )

>this whole exchange reminds me of the little boy’s famous book review: it tells me more than I want to know about penguins.

11. >Thanks for linking to Moore’s original review in Bader’s article. It was actually quite funny.

Fern as a farm girl didn’t ring true to her, and she does have a point there. “…but no such country child would have spent day after day beside the manure pile to which the pig was consigned and repeated afterward to as dumb a mother as a parent’s page ever invoked what the animals told her in their language.”

And her last line is classic: “As to Charlotte, her magic and mystery require a different technique to create that lasting interest in spiders which controls childish impulse to do away with them.”

I’d like a Nicholas T-shirt that says “Truck!” Maybe a fundraiser for New York Public Library?

>Did Miss Moore use “truck” in mixed company? Would she have approved a book on whose pages the word appeared? Did she know what it means?

>Maybe I don’t know what it means, either. I thought it was a synonym for “trash.”

>”Truck” is a euphenism for a Yiddish word:”dreck.” Possibly Miss Moore didn’t realize what she was saying.

>I meant “EUPHEMISM” of course. She must have picked it up from some ladies who probably didn’t know themselves what they were saying.