>The dangers of anecdotal research

>So this guy is estimating that Amazon has sold half a million Kindles. I have seen just two people, one months ago and one today, using them in public. Considering how many hours I spend on a subway, bus, train or plane I thought I would see many more, and I do look. So where are they? Maybe it’s a New York thing. Or maybe half a million isn’t actually a lot.

share save 171 16 >The dangers of anecdotal research

Comments

1. Nathan Bransford says:

>I saw one in the wild for the first time yesterday. It was like being on safari and spotting a rare albino lion.

2. Kristi(e) says:

>Kudos to Nathan Bransford’s witty comment!

3. TheWriterStuff says:

>I have yet to see one of the elusive animals. Then again I live in Maryland.

4. Miss Susan says:

>When it comes with that wonderful new book smell, then I’ll consider it.

5. >I have not even seen a Kindle yet here in northwest Missouri. Then again, the Kindle sounds like something you’d see on a subway, and I have an idea that the nearest subway is in Chicago.

>I thought I would see a lot more on the subway than the two I have, because Boston riders are huge readers. I tried it once but found that the light was not good enough when the train was underground. I read a lot on my iPod touch (thank you Richard); it makes its own light and I like the little swoosh thing you do to turn the page. Page turning on the Kindle is deadly.

7. >Sounds like several cases of Buyers’ Remorse to me.

8. >We use them, but then again we are in the business (literary agents) and live in New York. It is noteworthy how the industry journals obsess over them, right?

Scott Treimel

9. >Half the people in my Boston law firm have them but as with our BlackBerries we are told not to flaunt them on the T, especially if we get on at the Downtown Crossing stop where all the troubled teens hang out. I personally don’t see the appeal but I don’t really like owning a BlackBerry that makes me accessible to do work 24/7 when I should be reading or possibly sleeping . . .

>Weird. I live in a little town and I have one. Where are you guys living – in the Twilight Zone?