>I’m a little stunned myself.

>From a press release I received this morning:

When Margaret Benedict, former educator and author, taught her social studies curriculum she required her students to read eight biographies a year. She was stunned when she found out that no biography of Joyce Clyde Hall existed. With determination to reveal the true entrepreneur that Hall was, Benedict worked closely with Hallmark Cards, Inc. to write An American Entrepreneur: Mr. Joyce Clyde Hall, Founder of Hallmark Cards, Inc.

share save 171 16 >Im a little stunned myself.

Comments

1. Charlotte says:

>I will be able to sleep at night now. Thank God for Margaret Benedict.

2. Alex Flinn says:

>It’s from a self-publishing outlet too . . . though perhaps this one was not so much self published as subsidized by the Hallmark Corporation.

(none of which means you’re not so going to hell;))

3. Shelli Cornelison says:

>We can only hope that Margaret Benedict will next champion Jay Bush, spokesperson and extraordinary actor of Bush’s Baked Beans and their inspiring commercials. Some stories just cry out to be told…

4. >Okay, you made me laugh out loud. There I was, holding it together, managing to behave appropriately. And then I read your “label”. Now you are responsible for the damage to my keyboard. :)

Actually, just found your blog today (I’m also in the Boston area) because I found myself blogging about the new book “A Book” by Mordicai Gerstein, and extolling the virtue of great picture books in general, and I was curious about blogs that covered children’s literature.

So glad to have found this. I’m a new fan.

>I’m pretty shocked, too. EIGHT biographies? In one year? Can we hire her for my kid’s class?

>one must wonder whether she got into this enterprise thinking she was writing about FAMOUS WOMEN?

It’s funny how many men in olden times had feminine-sounding names. (Fred Allen was christened Florence. Or so I was told – does anyone know if that’s true?)

>Yeah, next she’ll be working on a biography of Elutheria Irene Dupont.

>This book should be in every school library. Drda

9. margaret benedict says:

>As I was writing the biography about Mr. Hall, economic terms that I had taught my fifth grader were woven into Mr. Hall's story. Because I know that many teachers have had few courses, if any, in the area of economics, I included lessons as well. The subject was chosen out of my own curiosity that a book for young readers had never been written. Most students know about Hallmark. Hallmark did not publish the book, but gave great support with pictures from their archives and legal read it to insure the integrity of the story. Thank you for your comments.