>The Twits

>I’m currently experimenting with Twitter as @Hornbook. Have already been asked by one user if our site is “SFW,” given our salacious name, I suppose. If you’re on there, say hello.

In between twats I and the other Mag editors have been beavering away at the September special issue, theme song “Trouble.” It’s gonna be great–cover by Harry Bliss and articles by Betsy Hearne (Fifty years of children’s book trouble), Pat Scales (What Makes a Good Banned Book), Susan Patron (“Why didn’t I get in trouble that time I used uterus?”), Stephen Roxburgh (how much trouble could Roald Dahl be?), Marc Aronson (authors versus the internet), Leonard Marcus (interviewing Jean Feiwel, who brought you Goosebumps) and much more. Stay tuned!

share save 171 16 >The Twits

Comments

1. Lyle Blake says:

>I was reduced to going to Wikipedia to find out what SFW stands for, my best unaided guess being "safe for women" (after my initial reaction that you had meant SWF for single white female nd had made a typo). Oh, the horror, the horror.

Lyle Blake Smythers

2. Chris Barton says:

>I haven't Twittled yet, Roger, but if I do, I'll look you up.

3. GraceAnne LadyHawk says:

>Twats and beavers and horns oh my. I may have to lie upon my fainting couch with a lavender-scented silk hankerchief held delicately to my brow.

>I think Lyle and GraceAnne should meet! Chris can play matchmaker.

>New bio of Baum! 6-13-09 GLOBE has an interview with the author of a new bio, which cites the many influences on his book: he had an unpleasant mother-in-law, there was a yellow paved road in his town, some connection with hardware etc. etc. No mention at all of the political climate, economics etc. Maybe the interviewer was ill-prepared, and it was a brief piece – but it sounded as though the author had written an inspirational tome on
    a favorite writer's "creative" influences.

Did another GLOBE reader see it? I couldn't believe it!

6. >I laughed so hard at this post. But the new issue sounds fantastic, too. I'm especially looking forward to the fifty years of children's book trouble article.

>I'm generally not left speechless when I see statements like this, but wow.

As the children's book editor, you should be ashamed of using language like that.

>I wrote absolutely nothing improper. Wash your mind out with soap.

>Really? No, really? Nothing improper?

"In between twats I and the other Mag editors have been beavering away …"

Let's define twat … http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Atwat&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g2

If you said "In between tweets" or even "In between twits" I could understand, but you didn't.

Do you have another definition of twat that you would like to share?

>I never thought I would have to tell someone to seriously consider watching more t.v. It's a Stephen Colbert joke that now, between the two of us, has been thoroughly beaten into the ground.