>Is It a Crime?

>Drinks for anyone but Elizabeth who can identify the musical quoted in the title.

The Simmons program Crime and Misdemeanors is ending this morning with closing remarks from M.T. Anderson, and my responsibilities–save paper-grading–will be through. I’ve been twittering away from the back of the room, but it’s difficult to convey the extravagant genius and delivery of a Jack Gantos in 140 words. (And something tells me that Mr. Tobin Big Words won’t be any easier.) If you go to the HornBook feed (linked over there on the right) you can at least get a sense of who’s been talking.

Yesterday I was on a panel with Vicky Smith (Kirkus) and Deborah Stevenson (BCCB) about reviewing; the best moment for me was when Deborah and I confessed to letting House in the Night slip by while Vicky quietly crowed that Kirkus had named it the best picture book of the year. What we neglected to get into is how incestuous this whole business is–I used to run BCCB, Vicky formerly reviewed for the Horn Book, Deborah taught the Simmons summer course the last time and has an article coming up in our November issue. It’s a very small pond.

I’ll try to get you some more moments from the Institute later this week but am off tomorrow for some kind of management retreat in Ohio. If they think I’m doing trust circles or paintball wars . . . .

share save 171 16 >Is It a Crime?

Comments

1. Johanna says:

>Bells Are Ringing.

RIP Judy Holliday.

2. Mary Lee says:

>Maybe not trust circles or paintball wars, but there is a high ropes course at Camp Mary Orton that you'd like. (NOT!)

Make sure you get to Cover to Cover Children's Books and while you're in Clintonville, eat at least one meal at NorthStar Cafe.

3. Shoshana says:

>The Institute drove home just how small this pond is and made me very glad to be swimming in it. (Mixing metaphors is just a misdemeanor, right?) It was good to see all the Horn Book folks, along with so many other nice people who get excited about the same things that excite me!

4. >In the interest of setting the record straight, I should say KIRKUS named HOUSE IN THE NIGHT "A best picture book," Roger, not "THE best picture book." This doesn't diminish the crowing.

5. Beth Kephart says:

>I have seen Mr. Gantos in action. Extravagant genius is an excellent near-statement of his greatness.

>No wonder you all sound alike.

7. janeyolen@aol.com says:

>I would have said "Sade's song 'Isn't it a crime,'" but that seems unlikely given the Roger/Elizabeth nexus.

Jane