>Jenny from the Block feels your pain

>People all over the Internet are making of fun of Jennifer Lopez for the remarks reproduced below, but to me she sounds like just about every author or illustrator of children’s books I know. Especially this week.

I feel like I had that [Oscar worthy role] in El Cantante, but I don’t even think the academy members saw it. I feel like it’s their responsibility to do that, to see everything that’s out there, everything that could be great. Well, it is a little bit frustrating. It was funny; when the Oscars were on, I had just given birth on the 22nd, and the Oscars, I think, were a day or two later. I was sitting there with my twins—I couldn’t have been happier—but I was like, ‘How dope would it have been if I would’ve won the Oscar and been here in my hospital bed accepting the award?’ ‘Thank you so much! I just want to thank the academy!’ But we joked about it. It’s all good. Things will happen when they’re supposed to happen. I have the utmost faith and no doubt that it will one day, when and if it’s supposed to. You can’t get all crazy twisted over it.

share save 171 16 >Jenny from the Block feels your pain

Comments

1. Sarah O'Holla says:

>You're right! It goes for librarians too, I keep thinking why isn't anyone talking about our Mock Newbery winner The Year the Swallows Came Early? Or our honor book Faith Hope and Ivy June? Although the blame game can feel good in the moment it usually doesn't lead to success, so I like how she also says "you can't get all crazy twisted over it," too. Who knew I'd ever feel like I have something in common with J. Lo?

>I read this quote to a group of writers at Hamline University in Minnesota on Sunday, and they laughed with self-recognition. And what do you think was on TV when I got back to my hotel room that night? The Wedding Planner. So I watched it in honor of JLo. It wasn't bad.

3. >Thanks for mentioning how you shared that at Hamline. It was nice to remember how the room sounds when everybody laughs.

4. janeyolen@aol.com says:

>Aha–I will be at Hamline to give the graduation speech this Sunday, instead of being in Boston obsessing about the awards. I obsess even when I have no dogs in the hunt. We all do.

The one year I didn't obsess–thinking a friend had the frontrunner and hoping for his success–OWL MOON won the Caldecott. Go figure.

Of course, even being in Minneapolis,I will stayed glue to my computer doing announcement time.

Jane

5. >And then there was the year when I actually did have a book in contention — and I got four phone calls early that Monday Morning. None of which were from any of the award committees.

>She's on to something. If nothing else, CRAZY TWISTED sounds like a good middle grade title.

7. >Laurie Halse Anderson beat you to the Twisted part. Bummer.

Jane, you will love Hamline. The folks are so nice and so driven, the faculty is amazing. The dining hall is meh, but I understand they keep the faculty lounge well-stocked. Bring Thinsulate mittens and enjoy!

>Melinda–Kate DiCamillo kept warning me about the cold but it was warmer than Boston. Punks. What I did find odd in such a wintry climate was the slipshod plowing and ice removal. The children's lit conference took place in the Hamline law school, whose sidewalks were a lawsuit waiting to happen!

9. melanie hope greenberg says:

>JLo grew up on Blackrock Ave in the S.Bronx. So did I; a few years apart (being nice to myself here). I call myself MelLo from down the block ;-)

Recently met for drinks and one of the designers from a big publishing company adult's department said this of the children's book people, "They think their s*** doesn't stink". Tee-hee.

All the horse racing on the internet, esp. of those not in the race, makes it worse for us author-illustrators. For me, it brings up too much competition with people I know and like. I just stay out of the betting and applaud the winner. More time for creative work.

10. Fran Manushkin says:

>I'm going to Minnesota next weekend for the Art Shanty Festival on a frozen lake. How crazy am I?

11. Samantha Clark says:

>There's definitely some wisdom in this: "Things will happen when they’re supposed to happen. I have the utmost faith and no doubt that it will one day, when and if it’s supposed to. You can’t get all crazy twisted over it."