>Excuse our dust

>while we mess around with ad placement on Read Roger. You might think Google’s Ad Sense would have more sense than to run ads for vanity press publishers on a blog that will only mock the same. But I think it is run by robots and in any case our sales force will be handling the ads once we get the layout worked out. Comments welcome.

share save 171 16 >Excuse our dust

Comments

1. Cranky Reader says:

>Yuck! Drop the ads and call off the bots. Nigerian chain mail looks more genuine than this.

2. >Bad, bad, very bad, especially here in France where I have to look at a young single woman 'dreaming' of her ideal mate (now, if it had been a young single man…)

Take the time and trouble to do something appropriate or nothing at all. Just my opinion.

And you know, Roger, it's only because you're a star–they're exploiting you!

>I'm told site-appropriate ads will be uploaded tomorrow and they can't come soon enough!

4. >Aaa! They're scary, Uncle Roger! Make them go away!

(and my verification word is "hotty." yikes.)

>And no star here, Garcon, but I am having the BEST time listening to a true star narrate her own memoir; Patti LuPone: "They say there are two sides to every story, but in this case both sides agree [her Baker's Wife co-star Topol] was an asshole."

>I don't know what you mean, I just got approved for a Visa. Couldn't get one anywhere else. Rondo

7. >I actually find it comforting that Google is obviously not reading things that closely.

8. Lyle Blake Smythers says:

>I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or experience involving one of the companies that has an ad here, PublishAmerica. Unlike the others, they do not appear to be a self-publishing company and claim that you don't pay them anything, they pay you royalties. Sounds like a POD (print on demand) thing.

I have been trying for ten years to get an agent or a publisher for a somewhat quirky fantasy novel (adult, not children's/YA) and am reluctantly beginning to suspect that my stuff is just too weird for mainstream.

Yes, I have also queried and shown sample chapters to specialty publishers outside the mainstream (I'm talking gay SF/fantasy) and there has been no interest.

Then again, maybe I'm just not good enough. But I have gotten several comments along the lines of "The writing is vivid and effective, the story is original. It's just not …" You fill in the blank.

Self-publish or not? That's why this PublishAmerica caught my attention because you don't pay them. They pay you — but only if the book sells.

Comments? Information?

Lyle Blake Smythers
    just too weird to publish

>Lyle –

I have no personal experience with PublishAmerica, but something I have noticed when running into their books on Amazon is very unusually high pricing. For instance: a retail price of $25 dollars for a 20 page paperback picture book. Do an amazon search for PublishAmerica in books and see some of their titles & pricing.

>Lyle,

This is the blog Writer Beware. I'd encourage you to type "publish america" in quotes into the search box and read what they have to say.

Or read John Scalzi's post. Just the title in the link should tip you off.

best wishes.

11. Lyle Blake Smythers says:

>Anon 1:01,

Many thanks for pointing me to those posts. They make for VERY enlightening reading. This company is coming off my list with blinding speed.
    Lyle

12. >Ursula K. LeGuin had some good advice on the publishing score. "Write a book and send it out. Then write another book and send it out. Then write another book and send *it* out…."

Also, a very helpful rule of thumb among children's writers is to read at least 100 books in the genre you want to write for. These 100 books should be recent books, published within the last five years. That gives you a good eye for what works, what doesn't work, what trends are shopworn, etc.

Also, Hamline University has a very nice MFA program for writing for children, hint hint.

Good luck!

>I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge or experience involving one of the companies that has an ad here, PACT Premium Organic Cotton Underwear. They look great, but should I order a size up? Do they shrink? I've had bad experience in the past with cotton in the dryer, even at low heat settings.

>Make it stop.

15. >Somebody make a hashtag.

16. >*grudgingly*

The Horn Book ad is not so bad.

hmph