>Poetry plug

>TWU professor Sylvia Vardell and poet Janet Wong have collaborated to bring us PoetryTagTime, an ebook compilation of new poems for children. With Joyce Sidman, X.J Kennedy, and Jane Yolen among the thirty poets included, the organizing principle of the book is neat, with each poet “tagging” the next to write a poem which in some way links to his or her own. Fun and cheap: 99¢! The poems are light and lively, and I’m glad to report that the line-breaks remain sacrosanct no matter how you mess with the font size. Available for Kindle and Nook.

share save 171 16 >Poetry plug

Comments

1. aquafortis says:

>Sounds like a very fun idea.

2. Janet Wong says:

>"Fun and Cheap" is our motto! ("Sacrosanct" is a close second.) We're hoping mainly to reach people who haven't been "exactly keen" on poetry before, but might be willing to give it a try for 99 cents . . . Thank you so much, Roger, for your Poetry plug!

3. Helen Frost says:

>Or, equally, Janet, maybe people who are keen on poetry but not on ebooks. However you draw the venn diagram, it can only expand the audience.

4. laurasalas says:

>Thanks for helping to spread the word, Roger.

It was such a blast to be in this project with so many poets I love. And it's the first e-book I've ever bought! I can't read much on my iPhone, but poetry is probably the single best genre for it!

5. >I'm thrilled to be in the first ebook-only poetry collection for children with so many poets I love. I'm jazzed that children's poets have paved the way for poetry on e. On top of that, I downloaded kindle onto my mac so that I could buy this ebook and others. betsy

6. Betsy Franco says:

>Oops, I meant to say "Betsy Franco said" on that last comment.

7. David Harrison says:

>Roger, I'm glad you like our combined effort. I recently heard a high school senior say that he thinks old folks are adorable. He probably means anyone older than his parents. So I think Janet and Sylvia should rename our book, "Poems by Old Folks for the Younger Generation." David

8. >Roger, I read you.

9. Leslie Bulioin says:

>Thanks for highlighiting this new collection, Roger. I was thrilled to be a part of it, and love following each of the poet's connections. Sylvia and Janet's inventive format–the "tag" poetry game and the e-book–is the perfect combo!

10. >Thank you, Roger, for your kind words here…I feel honored to be a part of this group of poets. It has also been great fun to see classrooms of children play their own "poetry tag" game after reading this e-book together. The invisible connections made visible are great fun!

11. Steven Withrow says:

>I could see this as an annual project for National Poetry Month. (Not to give you more work to do, Janet and Sylvia!) Kudos to all involved!

12. Julie Larios says:

>When I told my grown son that I had a poem in an eBook, his eyebrows shot up and he looked – well – SKEPTICAL. But it's true. By playing tag in Janet and Sylvia's book, I've moved overnight from being a luddite dinosaur (or is it a dinosaur luddite?) to being part of the eBook crowd. And not needing a Kindle to read the book has helped all my dinosaur friends read it, too! Lots of fun, both tagging and being tagged – and then reading the results. I'm glad to know you liked the project, Roger. Like Steven, I hope there's a new game of Tag next April.

13. >This looks fun, and my kids gonna love it. I hardly find ebooks for kids, which makes it more interesting its a collaboration of Sylvia and Janet.

Ann
    Torque Wrench

14. J. Patrick says:

>Janet and Sylvia are leading the band as always.
    Thanks, Roger, for mentioning what I hope will become a tradition.