2011 Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards

The 2011 BGHB winners are:

Fiction
Winner: Blink & Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones (Candlewick)

Honor: Chime by Franny Billingsley (Dial)
Honor: Anna Hibiscus by Atinuke (Kane Miller)

Nonfiction
Winner: The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism, & Treachery by Steve Sheinkin (Flash Point/Roaring Brook)

Honor: Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air by Stewart Ross, illustrated by Stephen Biesty (Candlewick)
Honor: Can We Save the Tiger? by Martin Jenkins, illustrated by Vicky White (Candlewick)

Picture Book
Winner: Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes by Salley Mavor (Houghton)

Honor: Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman, illustrated by
Rick Allen (Houghton)
Honor Pecan Pie Baby by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by Sophie Blackall
(Putnam)

[Go here for the complete press release.] Judged by Jennifer Brabander (chair), Robin Brenner, and Dean Schneider, the BGHB Awards will be awarded on Friday evening, September 30th, 2011 at a ceremony at Simmons College. The following day, we will again present The Horn Book at Simmons Colloquium, led by me and Cathie Mercier, Associate Dean and Director of the Simmons Center for the Study of Children’s Literature, and featuring this year’s winners with presentations, conversations, and workshops. You can sign up now.

share save 171 16 2011 Boston Globe Horn Book Awards

Comments

1. Ashley W. says:

>Yeah, Pocketful of Posies! I LOVE this book and its gorgeous illustrations. So glad to see it at the top of the heap.

2. Elizabeth Fama says:

>Woot! Franny!

>Hey Roger– One of these days shouldn't I be part of the judging, since I write the monthly children's book column for the Boston Globe?

Or does my other hat as children's book author (Tyrannosaurus Dad, this year) preclude me?

Congratulations on another rich and eclectic list.

Love,

Liz Rosenberg liz_rosenberg@ymail.com

>The only connection with the Globe is historical–the Globe hasn't contributed to or covered the event in years.

5. >Congratulations to the winners.

Roger, what do you guys do with all those books that were submitted?

>Kai, any submitted books become the property of the judges to dispose of as they please–I know Jen has given bunches to the various schools and programs her kids are in.

7. Robin Brenner says:

>Kai, if you're curious — as a librarian, I'm donating them all to local library collections and for summer reading prizes!

>Do I remember that Pecan Pie, Baby was Peanut Butter Pie, once? Or have I been hallucinating?

9. Million Book Read says:

>Congrats to the winners! Great books to be read and shared.

10. Ed Spicer says:

>I love seeing Anna Hibiscus on this list! Excellent book (and I am still sorry that it did not make the Notables list).

Ed Spicer

11. >Anonymous 8:18, are you thinking of Toni and Slade Morrison's Peeny Butter Fudge?

>Oh, yes! That's it. Too bad, I thought maybe someone had comet to their senses.

Anon 8:18

13. Melinda says:

>BOOOOOO GET HIM (HER) OFF THE STAGE.

>Melinda,

I don't understand.

>Perhaps Anon 8:18 was suggesting that the BGHB jury recognized the brilliance (overlooked by me) that is Peeny-Butter Fudge, but I took it to mean that she was hoping that book's publisher had come to its senses and changed the title. The title has not changed and neither has that book, another exercise in vanity publishing.

16. >"Yummy, lummy. Yummy, lummy. / So much happy in the tummy."

-Toni Morrison

17. Ferron Simuke says:

>Congratulations to the winners. All of the awards are well deserved.
    Maybe some day we will be see Ira Teller's name on that list. His word has been grossly under-appreciated. I forsee Control Switch On gaining a formidable readership in the near future.

18. KT Horning says:

>Elissa: that was a Top 40 hit for the 1910 Fruitgum Company in 1968.

>We should see if we can address that sometime, Roger. Let me approach my editor at the Globe if you are interested. It seems strange to have the connection be in the title of the awards only. –Liz (it comes out anonymous because I can't for the life of me figure out how to sign in)

20. Yahong Chi says:

>YAY for Blink & Caution!