>Where are the SERIOUS books?

>When Twitter alerted me to this–well, naive might be understating things–report on last month’s Book Expo, all I could think of was Fran Leibowitz’s observation (I paraphrase) that “the girl in high school who insists that the drama club put on The Bald Soprano will be a thorn in the side of everyone she meets forever.”

share save 171 16 >Where are the SERIOUS books?

Comments

1. >I'm…really confused. Minnesota Public Radio has just finished (dear god, I hope) beating the dead horse with its third program about YA books being too serious, and this writer is bemoaning the lack of "serious literature?"

Golly, now I can't decide whether to reread "Hoot" or "Forge."

2. Chris Barton says:

>Like the recent WSJ tirade, this latest piece reminds us that when you don't understand something, the last thing you should do is — God forbid — ask someone knowledgeable to explain it to you.

3. >I'm really confused about the definition of "mommy." I thought it was a person, whether employed in the so-called workplace or not, who is raising children as part of a family relationship and not a housewife who reads romance, horror/vampire, and paranormal novels. Also, if just a few hundred Twitter followers give someone the power to establish trends, I'm going to have to start taking Twitter a lot more seriously.

>As Werner Erhard pointed out and Daniel Rumsfield later reiterated, it's the stuff you don't know you don't know that gets you in trouble.

>I KNOW Gail! With my Twitter army of 3000 you'd think the publishing industry would be kowtowing to my every whim. WHY ISN'T THAT HAPPENING?

6. >Roger–Perhaps the person who wrote that article could answer your question. Or would at least take a shot at it.

>Oops, Donald Rumsfeld. Where is the hard-hitting journalist to take on the shame that is Blogger's reluctance to allow one to edit one's comments?

8. Liz Rosenberg says:

>Love the Leibowitz!

>Fran Lebowitz! You know about this movie, yes?

Surstra