ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott

this is not my hat ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen won the medal and the (5!) honor books were

reynolds creepycarrots 225x300 ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott  Barnett Extra Yarn 300x243 ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott  seeger green 300x300 ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott  buzzio onecoolfriend 300x233 ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott  logue sleepliketiger 300x246 ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott

Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Peter Brown; Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen; Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger; One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo, illustrated by David Small; Sleep Like a Tiger by Mary Logue, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski.

Kudos to Jon Klassen for getting the medal AND and an honor book award!

Were some of you there in the room for the announcement? Did the rest of you watch online or follow the twitter feed? Robin is in Seattle and will probably call me sometime today. I was here at work listening in but now I need to head home. (Still ailing, but the announcement is like a shot of adrenaline!)

We’ll post an official response to the announcement later, but for now I wanted to spread the word and give you all a place to discuss this.

share save 171 16 ALA/ALSC announces 2013 Caldecott
Lolly Robinson About Lolly Robinson

Lolly Robinson is the designer and production manager for The Horn Book, Inc. She has degrees in studio art and children's literature and teaches children's and adolescent literature at Harvard University's Graduate School of Education. She has served on the Caldecott and the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award committees.

Comments

1. Is this the first time an illustrator has received both an Honor *and* the big award? Inquiring minds wanna know.

2. Susan Dailey says:

It happened once before in 1947! (just a while ago) Leonard Weisgard won for “The Little Island” written by Golden MacDonald (a pseudonym for Margaret Wise Brown) and received an honor for “Rain Drop Splash” written by Alvin Tresselt. That’s all I could find.

3. Robin Smith says:

So, I am on the plane waiting to take off. It is always a thrill to be I the room when it all happens. I MIST hear how that Klassen phone call went…

4. This has gotta be one of the best stories:

I am particularly taken with the undies part involving his librarian mother and with his genuine surprise over the call.

5. AllisonGK says:

You are right, Jules! That was a charming posting on Peter Brown’s blog or site or whatever.

I am disappointed that the Hat book as won the prize. I thought Extra Yarn and some of the other honor books were more deserving and I”m sad about some of the other books we discussed not making the list. I guess that is how it goes every year. I mean no offense to Mr. Klassen – admire his work very much.

I love this blog and get so much from it. Thanks Robin and Lolly. I’d love to see it go all year with suggestions as they come up over the year for everyone to consider and read and then really going full blast with analysis in the fall.

Sincerely,
    Allison

6. Lynn Van Auken says:

Robin & Lolly ~ Thanks a bunch for hosting this blog with such enthusiasm and grace. Seattle is just too many time zones and transfers from Martha’s Vineyard, but with your attention to this online forum the Awards Season has been great fun and I’ve learned so much.

I can’t wait to read the winning books aloud with my students and I look forward to future conversations about the wealth of wonderful children’s literature we are so fortunate to share.

7. Robin Smith Robin Smith says:

I had a long time on planes and taxis to talk about all the awards with my husband, who is a fellow book person and active ALA/ALSC member. In the words of Joey Pigza, “Can I get back to you tomorrow?”

• Lolly Robinson Lolly Robinson says:

Can I get back to you all on that, too? Robin and I will post our official responses later today.

8. Three cheers for Robin and Lolly! Thanks for everything, you two – another splendid year!

9. Hear, hear! Love this blog.