Calling Caldecott 2013 final ballot is now OPEN

callingcaldecott2013 ballot2books smaller 550x212 Calling Caldecott 2013 final ballot is now OPEN

As promised, here is a link to the second and final ballot. We hope you’ll keep discussing these books here and on our previous post where you can see the complete results of the first ballot, including just how many first, second, and third place votes each book received. We’ll leave the polls open until Friday morning at 9 a.m. and post the final results Friday at noon.

The nine books on this ballot are
And Then It’s Spring by Julie Fogliano, illustrated by Erin E. Stead
Baby Bear Sees Blue by Ashley Wolff
Chloe and the Lion by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Adam Rex
Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen
Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
A Home for Bird by Phillip C. Stead
This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
Unspoken: A Story from the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole
Z is for Moose
by Kelly Bingham, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky

On a real Caldecott Committee, we would keep voting until one book got more than 50% of the first choice votes. Once that happened, the committee would decide how many honor books to choose and perhaps vote one more time to see which of the runners up get to be honors. Of course, we can’t be QUITE that authentic here because there are so many more people involved and we want to finish our Mock this week. So on Friday morning Robin and I will look at the results of the next vote, give the win to the book with the most first place choices, and make a decision about honor books based on the spread of votes for runners up.

Now, everyone — discuss and VOTE!
castyourballot button 201x51 Calling Caldecott 2013 final ballot is now OPEN

share save 171 16 Calling Caldecott 2013 final ballot is now OPEN
Lolly Robinson About Lolly Robinson

Lolly Robinson is the designer and production manager for The Horn Book, Inc. She has degrees in studio art and children's literature and teaches children's and adolescent literature at Harvard University's Graduate School of Education. She has served on the Caldecott and the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award committees.

Comments

1. Robin Smith Robin Smith says:

I think I am going to slow down on my voting–some of my favorites are gone..gone..gone. But I feel all jazzed up with extra votes in my hot little fist.

2. Sam Bloom says:

1. Home for Bird
    2. And then it’s Spring
    3. Unspoken

I had a hard time choosing between Unspoken and Green, and sadly it is that little mistake on the firefly page that knocked Green out for me. Otherwise, I love that book.

• Lynn Van Auken says:

I’m glad you mentioned the fireflies because I have a question about another page in Green. On the STOP sign page it looks to me like the white in the tree is a seagull – but I’m not sure. When you turn to the snow page the shape becomes a cardinal. But the cardinal’s left wing is purple and it seems incongruous to the rest of its body. . .

• I have, again, examined the firefly page in GREEN and I just do not see an error. Has anyone else had that experience? Are some of the books not properly printed?

Likewise, on the snow page with the cardinal–that isn’t a “purple wing”, that’s a red wing in shadow.

In any case, I have a hard time seeing how these mistakes could knock GREEN out of contention by themselves. Though I can’t find any mistakes, so I guess I can’t judge.

3. After a very long career as an artist, Henry Cole has entered into an entirely new dimension of artwork.with UNSPOKEN,, one the most difficult things to do. UNSPOKEN in a quiet masterpiece.

• Susan Dailey says:

I’m glad you mentioned this. At our Mock Caldecott workshops through the years, we’ve often wondered if someone who’s been illustrating a long time needs to do something very different in order to gain recognition. I know that the committee isn’t supposed to discuss things like this; however, we have Cole’s “I Know a Wee Piggy” on our consideration list as well as “Unspoken.” It’s almost impossible to imagine that the same artist did both! Since both are eligible this year, does this open the door to discuss Cole’s new style?

4. My first and second graders chose their Mock Caldecott winner today, after a week of discussions. Their winner was Unspoken! House Held Up By Trees, The Beetle Book, and More were their honor books! They are so thrilled to share their picks with our whole school tomorrow!

5. It’s still a hard choice. I agree that Henry Cole has changed his style in an amazing way, and he should get some recognition for the book. Z IS FOR MOOSE is a fun book. It was a difficult manuscript to illustrate, and Zelinsky did so with wit and a style that complements the text.

6. Lynn Van Auken says:

I did not vote for Extra Yarn or A Home for Bird in the first round, but I’m holding off on my final vote in case someone would like to speak to my concerns here. I’m still deciding . . .

I love the colors and style Klassen used to illustrate Barnett’s story, but the archduke bothers me. He (and his boat) look like they’re from a different century than the rest of the characters; to my eye and mind he doesn’t fit. And even though this is a story point rather than an illustration issue, I wish the ending was different. A nasty curse doesn’t seem necessary. And why make the teacher so snippy? I think the same story could be told – and to better effect – without these two distasteful characters.

Character’s my problem in A Home for Bird, too. I know the artwork’s “The Thing” and I could vote for Bird based on the artwork alone, but as of now it wouldn’t be an enthusiastic vote. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise? I want to “feel for” bird and I don’t. While at first the stoic creature was amusing, I really wanted there to be some small change in his affect by the end of the tale. And while Vernon’s efforts to help Bird find his home are commendable, I began to question his quest on behalf of a completely unresponsive companion. In spite of the glorious artwork, by the end of the story I really didn’t care much for either of them.

• Susan Dailey says:

Lynn,

I think you are supposed to connect with Vernon. I felt that Bird’s lack of response made Vernon’s devotion exceptional–a wonderful example of selfless friendship.

• Lynn Van Auken says:

Yes – that’s what I was afraid of. Kind of like The Giving Tree, another story that does’t sit well with me.
      BUT – when I look once again at the last page of A Home For Bird, I can imagine Vernon returning to his own home, and then this becomes a story of charitable, moment-in-time friendship rather than a lifetime of selfless giving. And in that frame, I can appreciate it more.
      Hmmmm . . . my ballot just got more difficult!

7. Cheryllynn says:

I had trouble with Extra Yarn and the almost lack of facial expressions. Everyone got beautiful warm sweaters and yet very little change in expression.

8. Maria Simon says:

We had lots of fun at our mock election. Here is the press release we sent to our local paper about our experience.
    Library Streams the ALA Media Awards

On Monday, January 28th at 11:00am, the Wood County District Public Library will be watching the ALA (American Library Association) Youth Media Awards announcement. All children and teen book enthusiasts are welcome to join us in the Children’s Place to watch the results.

Each year, ALA honors books, videos, and other outstanding materials for children and teens. Recognized worldwide for the high quality they represent, the ALA Youth Media Awards, including the prestigious Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, and Coretta Scott King Book Awards, guide parents, educators, librarians, and others in selecting the best materials for youth. Selected by committees composed of librarians and other literature and media experts, the awards encourage original and creative work in the field of children’s and young adult literature and media.

This year, 2013, marks the 75th anniversary of the Randolph Caldecott Medal, honoring the illustrator of the recent year’s most distinguished American picture book for children. Two weeks ago, the Wood County District Public Library had a mock election event to select our favorite picture book. A group of over twenty adults and children—including elementary, middle, and high school students; parents; local librarians; booksellers; and educators—met under the guidance of Kathy East, retired children’s librarian, to learn how the Caldecott Medal is awarded, and to hold a Caldecott election of our own. After splitting into eight groups to select our top eight choices, all participants voted on the WCDPL Mock Caldecott Winner and Honor books. Our Mock Caldecott winner was Abe Lincoln’s Dream by Lane Smith, published by Roaring Book Press. This book was voted the most distinguished by virtue of its use of a variety of media, the way the lines of the story are worked into the illustrations, and the patterns and designs Lane Smith incorporated into every page of his masterful book about a young African-American girl able to show Abraham Lincoln’s ghost just how far our country has come in the nearly 150 years since he was President.

Our committee also chose to present Honor awards to More by I. C. Springman and Brian Lies, published by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children; Z is for Moose by Kelly Bingham and Paul O. Zelinsky, published by Greenwillow Books; and Meet Me at the Moon by Gianna Marino, published by Viking Juvenile. Which books will this years’ Caldecott committee choose? We’re looking forward to finding out, so join us in the Children’s Place on Monday, January 28th at 11:00am for the official announcement of this year’s winner! For more information, contact the Children’s Place at 419-352-8253 .