The sounds of books being printed

bryant splashofred 233x300 The sounds of books being printedIt’s about time for us to roll up our tent, shovel our snow, and retreat for a few months of reading and planning. Calling Caldecott might be back here and there if necessary, but mostly we will be waiting on our porches and offices and bookstores for books to talk about starting in September. For now, I will have started a new shelf of Caldecott possibilities already. Most of these are not available yet, but keep your eyes peeled for them!

Titles and illustrators…
Bluebird (Bob Staake)
Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers’ Strike of 1909
(Melissa Sweet)
Brick by Brick
(Floyd Cooper)
Building Our House
(Jonathan Bean)
The Dark
(Jon Klassen)
Frog Song
(Gennady Spirin)
Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
(Sergio Ruzzier)
Something to Prove: The Great Satchel Paige
(Floyd Cooper)
A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin
 (Melisa Sweet)

share save 171 16 The sounds of books being printed
Robin Smith About Robin Smith

Robin Smith is a second-grade teacher at the Ensworth School in Nashville, Tennessee. She is a reviewer for Kirkus and The Horn Book Magazine and has served on multiple award committees.

Comments

1. Robin Smith Robin Smith says:

Oh, and feel free to mention books you are seeing that you think might have a shot at the elusive medals. That’s what the comments are for!

2. I really like both LUCKY DUCKLINGS and BRAVE GIRL. I’m looking forward to seeing THE DARK, ON A BEAM OF LIGHT, and David Wiesner’s fall release, MR. WUFFLES!

3. Robin Smith Robin Smith says:

MR WUFFLES?
    Jotting that down.
    Keep thinking of Lucky Ducklings as a visual homage to Make Way for Ducklings.

4. Deborah B Ford says:

I’m a big fan of Bunnies on Ice. The more I study the pictures, the more amazing it is!

5. I think – but I’m not sure, I’d have to check on this – that ALSC is legally obligated to NOT give the Caldecott to a book entitled “Mr Wuffles.” But Kadir’s book is amazing, of course, and On a Beam of Light is growing on me with every look. Lucky Ducklings is pretty cute, too. I have Brave Girl and Splash of Red at home, but haven’t looked at them yet. What about My Brother’s Book?

6. Robin Smith says:

So funny, Sam. I actually thought the same thing about that title. Of course, my cat is named Spike, so who am I to criticize.

I just got my copy of Sendak’s book a day or so ago. I have to think about whether it is a children’s book or not. Of course, the committee will have to decide that for themselves. I am feeling sad that I am not on the committee. Again.

I have a soft spot for Horace Pippin, so I want all of you to look at A Splash of Red!

7. Susan Dailey says:

Thanks so much for leading this blog and for the heads-up on good books to come. You are wonderful!

8. Sam Bloom says:

Robin, I’ve been looking at the two Melissa Sweet books over the last few days, and I’ve decided that I like Brave Girl just a bit more than Splash of Red. I feel like the story is better and the art more creatively done in Brave Girl; Splash of Red is definitely beautiful, but I think Brave Girl is thematically stronger (seriously, how cool is it that she has the stitchwork on so many pages? And the fact that the buildings in some of the city scenes are made of cloth? Very cool, if you ask me)