I assume you are all waiting next to your mailbox for the newest Horn Book magazine. It’s ALL ABOUT ILLUSTRATION, people! While you are waiting, here are a few teasers that have been released early for your picture book pleasure. Let me walk you through the digital content while you wait for the whole gorgeous magazine to get to you.
- First, here is a link to the last time The Horn Book published a special edition about picture books. The “Studio Views” from 1989 are right here. Isn’t that amazing?
- Second, this article about design by Jon Scieszka and Molly Leach is being reprinted in the new print edition, too.
- And right here is a fabulous piece by smart person and frequent Calling Caldecott poster Julie Danielson about media.
- KT Horning, friend and brilliant reviewer (remember the guest posting on our blog??) has this review of My Bus by Byron Barton for your reading pleasure.
- Wonder just what it takes to be recognized as a new illustrator? This piece by Shadra Strickland will challenge your assumptions and make you appreciate (and read and buy) books by new illustrators and by illustrators of color.
Stay warm, check your mailbox, and settle in for some good reading about picture books and their makers.
PS And, in case you missed it, Lolly has a new blog! It’s all about teaching with good books. Join in the discussion right here.