They ARE judging you

idol 300x195 They ARE judging youThe Boston Globe-Horn Book Award judges will be meeting in Boston this weekend to make their decisions. Anyone have any inside dirt? I’ll be announcing the winners on Saturday, May 31st at BEA, 1:00PM in the Librarians’ Lounge at Javits.

share save 171 16 They ARE judging you

Comments

1. Ooh!

(No inside dirt. Just excited to hear about the winners.)

2. I love hearing about these awards in the middle of the year instead of Midwinter. It’s just so cheery to me.
    I don’t have any favorites at the moment, so I am not invested, just anticipatory.

3. Karen Kosko says:

Wishing the judges all the best. So many books so little time!!

4. Looking forward to it! I also enjoy a good midyear award. What was the publishing deadline in order to be considered? Starts in June of the previous year?

5. Roger Sutton Roger Sutton says:

Yes, it runs June through May. When it began in the mid-sixties, children’s publishing was on a fall-spring schedule and the BGHB calendar was designed to reflect that, a publishing year rather than a calendar year. Sometimes we talk about changing it, but I kind of like the mid-year surprise when not much else is going on.

6. Once again I get to say that these are my favorite awards!

7. Roger Sutton Roger Sutton says:

Leda, what books won when you judged? Anything you can share with us about the experience?

8. Roger Sutton Roger Sutton says:

And Karen, you too. You judged last year’s, right?

9. Karen Kosko says:

Sarah, Pam and I had an amazing opportunity to sift through about 700 books for last year’s awards. What a terrific experience. Looking forward to a rich slate this year too.

10. Victoria Stapleton says:

I like this schedule and I like that the announcements are at BEA. A lovely Bing cherry on the sundae of the show. Also, I request Rebecca Stead return as co-host.

11. I am greatly looking forward to the announcement!