This week on hbook.com…
At the ALA Annual Conference in Vegas? Come by booth #829 to say hi!
From the July/August 2014 special ALA Awards issue of The Horn Book Magazine:
- Editorial: “Don’t Speak!“ Roger questions ALSC’s new confidentiality policy — and ALSC President Starr LaTronica responds. What are your thoughts?
- The 2014 Mind the Gap Awards: the books that didn’t win at ALA (Sergio Ruzzier is proud of his “Mindie”!)
Reviews of the Week:
- Picture Book: Thank You, Octopus by Darren Farrell; illus. by the author
- Fiction: Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff
- Nonfiction: The Cosmobiography of Sun Ra: The Sound of Joy Is Enlightening by Chris Raschka; illus. by the author
- App: Ngurrara: A Ngarluma Story by Tyson Mowarin; illus. by Stu Campbell
Out of the Box:
- “Our secret garden“: An urban oasis near our new Simmons campus office
- “YA is the new black“: Where are all those brand-new YA books at Litchfield Penitentiary coming from?
- “2014 Carnegie and Greenaway Medals announced“: Congrats to Kevin Brooks, Jon Klassen, and their publishers!
- “Playing catch-up“
- “Teaching perspective to first graders“
- “Happy birthday, Helen Keller!” Recommended picture book bios of the great lady