Caldecott-fandom crossovers, pt. 2

Well, I guess I’m flying my fangirl flag high on OOTB these days. After last week’s Sam & Dean post and Monday’s ALA Youth Media Awards announcements, I’m back with another “I can’t be the only one…” situation. Is it just me, or does unimaginary friend Beekle

santat_adventures of beekle

look a lot like the Adipose babies from Doctor Who‘s “Partners in Crime” episode?

adipose

Of course, Beekle is sporting that cute little crown — and now a shiny gold Caldecott medal sticker to match!

More Doctor Who silliness here.

Katie Bircher About Katie Bircher

Katie Bircher, associate editor at The Horn Book, Inc., is a former bookseller and holds an MA in children's literature from Simmons College. Follow Katie on Twitter @lyraelle.

Comments

1. Amy Cherrix says:

Katie,
    I suspect this little guy neglected to return on the mothership. Books: they, too, are bigger on the inside.

2. Katie Bircher Katie Bircher says:

Like!

3. Barb Outside Boston says:

Thank you Katie! I could not figure out what Beekle reminded me of, and you nailed it!

4. Does this not mean the Caldecott gold should be rescinded from Beekle, then? The award criterion that the art be original would be subverted if Santat drew the character from an existing one. Thus it would be not be eligible to win. If I were to create a picture book whose primary character was a duck, and he looked exactly like Donald Duck only I drew him with a cowboy hat, would not I be infringing on Disney’s property? And basically be fraudulent in my portrayal? Adipose is too unique a character to survive imitation. Beekle is clearly derivative. Is there a higher power at ALA who could review the winner(s) after the fact for integrity?

5. Katie Bircher Katie Bircher says:

Oh, I just meant that it’s funny how, as a big nerdy fangirl, I see my fandoms everywhere (see the Sam & Dave Dig a Hole/Supernatural post I mentioned above) — not to imply that Santat had appropriated Adipose for his own. I think Adipose, a baddie which appears in a single episode of Doctor Who, is a far cry from Donald Duck, who is recognizable around the world.

Unbeknownst to me, other people had already seen the Beekle-Adipose resemblance, and Santat addresses it here. (Thanks for the link, Lolly!) Obviously these coincidences happen, since I didn’t realize other bloggers had already posted similar thoughts!

6. Susan Dailey says:

Thanks for the post and link. I’m always looking for interesting info. to share at the Mock Caldecott workshop and this will be fun to share next year. (It’s never to early to think about the next Caldecott!)

7. Susan Dailey says:

Oops! “too early to share” not “to early” Wish I could just edited comment.

8. I was kind of disappointed to find out that Beekle is not an adipose.