Our goal is to create an inclusive, respectful environment that invites participation from people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, and sexual orientation. To that end, we’re actively seeking to increase the diversity of our contributors, speakers, and sponsors through our in-house development of content, events, open calls for proposals, and through dialogue with the larger communities we serve.
This is an ongoing process. We are talking to our advisory boards, program chairs and committees, participants, and organizations about this goal and how they might help us achieve it. Here are some ways you can help us build a more diverse experience at The Horn Book:
- Recommend appropriate contributors to our editors by contacting info at hbook.com
- Recommend appropriate speakers and/or program committee members to the event organizers by contacting hbevents at mediasourceinc.com
- Encourage potential contributors and/or speakers to submit a proposal to us.
- Organize community-based public-speaking trainings and practice events (Ignite is one popular format)
- Suggest ways that the on-site experience can be more welcoming and supportive, free from intimidation and marginalization (email us at hbevents at mediasourceinc.com)
- Share your ideas and best practices for how we can realize our vision info at hbook.com)
We value diversity in the communities we bring together, and we welcome your contributions to bringing balanced representation of the richness of our collective human experience.
Derived from a conference diversity statement licensed by O’Reilly Media, Inc. under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.