Children’s Literature Network (CLN) and Stevens Memorial Library in North Andover co-host the Massachusetts chapter of CLN’s innovative Chapter & Verse Book Club.
Chapter & Verse is a national book club for members of Children’s Literature Network and other children’s literature enthusiasts in their communities who wish to discuss children’s and young adult fiction, nonfiction, picture books, and poetry. The book clubs are a haven for adults who enjoy reading books written for children and teenagers. Anne Broyles, author, and Marina Salenikas, children’s librarian, will facilitate the discussions.
This year, the ALA Midwinter Meeting is at the end of January. We’ll have time to hold our Mock Award Discussions before the Awards are announced. In February, we’ll hold our post-Award discussion.
We read three books for each discussion, but feel free to bring a list of other books you feel are likely to receive an award or honor. The books are listed below.
- Doug Unplugged by Dan Yaccarino
- On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein by Jennifer Berne, illustrated by Vladimir Rudunsky
- Bluebird by Bob Staake
- Al Capone Does My Homework by Gennifer Choldenko
- Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by K. G. Campbell
- The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes
- Winger by Andrew Smith
- Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell