>Not even Jack Bauer and his fully loaded man-purse

>. . .could get me to post here a prediction for the Newbery or Caldecott (as requested in a comment on the previous post). I’m never right; my more pressing concern is always that we have reviewed the medal-winners or have spelled out in the Guide just why they were passed over by the Magazine.

And I won’t tell you what I would like to have win, either. Why tick people off for kicks? Lose what friends I still have? (Alternately, why poise myself for an ignoble fall? I’m still getting teased here for saying that last year’s Caldecott committee should take a serious look at Stephen Kellogg’s illustrations for Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town. I stand by my words.)

I can and will tell you (again; it was buried in the comments of an earlier post) that the Scott O’Dell Award for Historical Fiction (and an attached $5,000) is going to Louise Erdrich for The Game of Silence, published by Harper. I know this because I am one of the judges, along with Ann D. Carlson and Hazel Rochman, the jury’s chair.

Comments

>Well then, at least tell us what you ate for dinner last night.

>Pasta with pancetta as we watched C.J. kick ass on The West Wing. Dessert was chocolate chip cookies as we watched The Others kidnap Kate but then unfortunately return her to the group.

>Thank you. There, you see, what people ate for dinner is always more interesting than their opinions.

>Admit it, Roger, don’t you sometimes, when you and the other reviewers at the Horn Book are leaning back in your chairs chawing away about who should get stars that month, wish that you could just ask them what they had for dinner last night instead and then send them all home?

5. >Well I for one have my fingers crossed for SHOW WAY as a Caldecott book. I was never a big fan of Talbott’s till I saw this book. Blew me away.

No real thoughts on the Newbery.

Jane

>Yes, yes, yes, but let’s get serious, what did you have for dinner last night, Jane?

7. >Chicken and dumplings made by Angela DeTerlizzi, Tony’s wonderful wife. Plus a big salad, apple crumble with ice cream for dessert (not the wild chocolate cake drizzled with an even darker chocolate.)

Jane

>Everyone eats better than I do. How depressing.

9. Ramseelbird says:

>Kate was kidnapped by The Others? Doggone it. I’m trying to catch up and am currently watching season one. Guess that’s what I get for falling behind.