>And yes, I want fries with that.

>With Miss Pod singing songs from my halcyon California college days–Donna Summer, Cris Williamson, the Captain and Tennille–I’ll be wending my way to Disneyland tomorrow and won’t be posting again until next week. I’m tempted to dress up as Frances Clarke Sayers, scolding Ariel, bullying Belle, replacing Peter Pan and Pooh with authorized editions . . . .

I’m only worried because there are approximately fourteen In-N-Out stands between our hotel and Sleeping Beauty’s castle, any one of which as capable of diverting us from our goal as they were thirty years ago, when Double-Doubles won out over Henry James almost every single time.

Comments

1. >disneyland scares me. why are you going?

2. >Donna Summer (did she save you the last dance?), Captain and Tennille (didn’t you wonder about the captain?) …. Wow, what a 70’s music flashback from my childhood. Miss Pod done good.

Enjoy Disneyland, I’ve been to Disneyworld several times and always have a blast. Be sure to have some mickey ice cream and get yourself some ears! (*smile*)

3. >Cris Williamson?? Who are you, and what did you do with that foxy, manly, Roger?

>Hollis, I’d love to see you in the low light, love, and touch your secret weakness with my fire.

>You’d better cool it with that kind of talk, Roger, or stay away from Pluto during Disneyland’s rutting season. Not to mention they won’t let you near the teacups. And a word to the wise about said teacups. Go on them ONCE and ONCE only or the haunting little ditty a very merry unsomething or other will haunt you to your dying days, infiltrate your dreams, come out at inappropriate times such as reception lines and highjackings and finally, when in a weakened last state you’re trying to time your dying words to be really your last, so carefully scripted are they, force itself out your mouth on a tide of falsetto squeaks which your loved ones will spend years unsuccessfully trying to deny. Other than that have a wonderful time and don’t eat in and out just before space mountain unless you want it to live up to its name.

6. >A very Merry Unbirthday to us, to us!
    A very Merry Unbirthday to us, to us!

from Disney’s dreadful Alice in Wonderland.

Those are all the words I remember, but Anonymous is right –they made us sing it in sixth grade (1963!) and I haven’t managed to shake it since.

>And come back with mickey mouse ears and wear them for a new photo for the blog. it will confuse everyone but go excellently well with the bow tie.

8. Kelly Fineman says:

>Off thread, of course, but I had to complement you for how dapper you looked in the latest “Tales from the Slush Pile”. It arrived by email yesterday as part of PW’s Children’s Bookshelf.

9. Dianne de Las Casas says:

>Roger,

Have you seen this week’s PW Bookshelf? You are the subject of the Slush Pile comic strip. It’s so funny.

Warmly,
    Dianne de Las Casas

10. rindamybyers says:

>As a four-year-old, I was in the “States” for one year (folks on furlough), and we went to Disneyland as it was back then, properly in California…I had nightmares for YEARS after that Alice in Wonderland Ride…but then..back overseas, I got even worse nightmares from reading Dad’s National Geographics mags…from the paintings in those of prehistoric man….ahhh…eeeh!

So who can say…sigh… whether my subsequent hypersensitive reactiveness to innocuous things was all due originally to that first traumatic experience in Disneyland…but as it is now, I deeply don’t desire to go to any Disneyland …give me Bologna anytime…slurp, slurp!

Maybe…in another universe…far, far away…

>Re Donna Summers and Disneyland – you can go on very fast rides, you can go up and down and spin in circles but you can’t go home again.