>Androne here

>And I’m a modest and shy ocelot who loves long walks in the rain. Have you picked your daemon yet?

Comments

1. >I’m Mayra, a wolf, modest, proud, and dependable. I was secretly hoping that I’d end up as one of those rare folks who shares his daemon’s gender. That was a quiet, lovely detail in the first book.
    I have to say, this is much more gratifying than the Sex and the City quiz, which told me I was Miranda, over and over again, no matter how many times I answered the questions the way I thought Carrie would.

2. >I ended up as a Tiger. My goodness! Not what I would have guessed, but I’m quite pleased, as I worried greatly about the daemons throughout Pullman’s books. They seemed so vulnerable. Well, my daemon tiger is not vulnerable!

>I hate to sound like Charlie Brown getting a rock, but I got a freakin’ ocelot as well! With the entire wild kingdom to choose from, I was a bit disappointed to pull the only animal thus far revealed.

Her name is Valthera, which has a bit of appeal, I must admit.

PJB

4. >By the way, they told me that my daemon is modest….I notice that they said the same to Roger and thommy. Are they being a little too generous with modesty?

>By the way, further to Thommy’s comment, wasn’t the same-sex daemon the signifier of being gay? Or am I the only one who came to that conclusion?

PJB

>Whoops, I have that awful feeling of being a dimwit stating the obvious. My daemon is a speed-reader that leaps before looking.

PJB

>The SATC quiz is at http://quiz.ivillage.com/astrology/tests/sexandthecity.htm

I’m Charlotte–“a mother, a mystery and a poet all in one.”

8. >Tiger all the way, baby.

9. >They gave me an ocelot named Alvin, as in Alvin and the Chipmunks. I guess I could have hollered at him the way Dave Seville always did.

Personally, I am convinced that my daemon is a raccoon, too curious for her own good and always into stuff.

10. Fran Hodgkins says:

>Yet another ocelot! Andreas, that’s me. Assertive, modest, solitary, inquisitive, and dependable — and tends to read children’s books.

>Another ocelot. What’s up?
    At least there’s a variety of names. Mine was Adan.

12. >Have you looked at the daemon pantheon poster (it’s buried on the meet-your-daemon page – move your mouse over the changing animals in the glass)? There are 31 varieties of animal possible. I wonder if the preponderance of ocelots is a self-selected function of being a Roger Reader. The same might be said of our collective modesty – it’s hard not to be modest when you’re surrounded by genius.
    And speaking of Genius, am I the only one who feels bad for Theodore, with his corn rows and ugly boots?

13. philotheus the ocelot says:

>I think there must be a publishing/ocelot profile… something like when you cross a bookworm with manic determination or something.

14. >Yup. Ocelot. Andreas. (modest, competitive, assertive, outgoing, spontaneous)

15. >I don’t belong to the publishing crowd yet. I’ve got a crow named Arion. Modest, relaxed, solitary, responsible and proud.

How is one modest and proud at the same time?

16. >Maybe it’s like a passive-aggressive proud.

>modest, spontaneous, and assertive. Hah! I’m an author of children’s books, and a snow leopard.

18. >I’ve been an ocelot, a wolf, a monkey, a lynx and a tiger. I don’t really object to any of these accept the monkey – who wants to be like Mrs Coulter? And still 12 days to go before I settle…

>Pyrrheus, the crow. Love having a daemon who can fly. Too bad the name sounds like a medical condition…
    Irene

>I think you folks got ocelots becauce that was Roger’s result and the url appears to have been directly copied and pasted.

I am a solitary, sociable, and modest hare named Thaleron.

LOL, this reminds me of a job I had where we had to take personality tests (Myers Briggs, I believe) and post them on our office doors so we could all “get along better”. Animals would have been more fun!

Rose

>Rose, the childlit group is also crawling with ocelots. I think it might have something to do with those who are attracted to children’s books!

22. Monica Edinger says:

>I too got an ocelot early Thursday, but today my first attempt gave me snow leopard daemon who is “solitary, responsible, modest,shy,and fickle.” Fickle? I’d rather describe myself as open to changing my mind on things.

>Er, Anon, if that was the case we’d all have ocelots named Androne…

My wife, a children’s illustrator, also did the quiz (on another computer, I’ll add): ocelot.

24. Elizabeth says:

>I think it would be interesting to have someone else who knows us answer the question and see what daemon we get. I said that I wasn’t easily distractable, for instance, but I don’t know if the editors at Books for Young Readers would agree. And Roger, I don’t really get the modesty thing in your profile! I’m a tiger, and the first four adjectives really seemed right, but the fifth? “Outgoing, sociable, competitive, responsible, and shy.”

I don’t even understand how a person can be both outgoing and shy. But I love my tiger.

When I saw His Dark Materials as a play in London, the actors acted their daemons–it was neat.