>All hail the Potterologist!

>That would be Cheryl Klein, so dubbed by Time magazine in a refreshingly informative story about the forthcoming publication of the new HP. While the article about just how Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows makes it from Rowling’s manuscript to American bookstores is online, you need to read the print version in order to see the cartoon of Cheryl looking slinky in a swoopy Veronica Lake ‘do. One of Cheryl’s jobs is to serve as continuity editor for the series; all I can say is: yikes. This time around, she also had the responsibility of going to England to retrieve the second draft from Rowling and endured a hair-raising escape at Heathrow security: “Wow! You have a lot of paper in here,” said the bag inspector. Chills!

Not to get Cheryl in trouble or anything, but I feel I need to point out a potential lapse in security that occurred when we were in Germany together on an “editors’ trip.” Now I know, of course, that this was but a blind for some more secret purpose, and I have to ask:

>All hail the Potterologist!

Cheryl, what is in that bag and how could you leave it so casually untethered?

share save 171 16 >All hail the Potterologist!

Comments

1. >HP… it’s not long now.

I am gleefully anticipating the arrival of not only my copy, but also the one ordered for my Dad (Father’s Day he got a print out of the book cover in a card).

Inquiring minds want to know, why didn’t you peek in that bag when you had the chance?

2. Melinda says:

>The only thing that bugged me about the Times story is that the cartoon pics didn’t get Cheryl or Arthur right. But then again, maybe she was traveling incognita and had to wear a wig.

3. >Hee. Well, Roger, you may have *thought* I was collecting German novels, but one manuscript looks just like another — they’re all “a lot of paper”!

4. Monica Edinger says:

>I haven’t seen the print edition, but there is something online called “The Saga of the Seventh Manuscript” with some very different images of Cheryl and her boss. http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1637886_1637892,00.html

5. rindawriter says:

>I am in another realm (The World of IDCAAAH)…no doubt about it…and perfectly content to be so. Very interesting perspective, living there.

6. >If YDCAAAH, rindawriter, then why are you reading this?

>Although IDCAWHOALAH either, it behooves us all to keep an eye on him!

8. >Oh, you must care, Roger. Why else would you create a whole new thread about the upcoming book? Surely you’re not just trying to impress us with the fact that you read Time magazine? Or that you had lunch in Germany with a Very Important Editor?

9. shahairyzad says:

>Anyone see one of the headlines on CNN today?

“Why Killing Harry Potter Would Make Sense”

No argument from me there.

10. Betty-Kate says:

>Just wondering but How would a person become a “Potterologist”? I have been following the Harry Potter books since I was in seventh grade and I even went to great lengths to take many notes on the books….I go to see the movies and I find the differences and criticize… I was wondering if there was any way that I could become a “Potterologist”?

11. >I just wondered, because the place looked familiar, were you in Freising, Bavaria, Germany when you took that picture?