>I heard she moved to California

>but I guess she’s also gone Hollywood. From a Little, Brown press release heralding Cornelia Funke’s Reckless, forthcoming in September:

This sweeping story, which will delight Funke’s legion of fans and garner her new ones, was inspired by Grimm’s Fairy Tales and developed with film-maker Lionel Wigram, executive producer of the Harry Potter films and producer/co-writer of the recent Sherlock Holmes blockbuster.

I’m assuming she will still write the thing, unless of course she has People For That.

share save 171 16 >I heard she moved to California

Comments

1. Susan Patron says:

>I met Cornelia Funke on one occasion, when she accepted my invitation to speak (gratis) before the children's librarians of the Los Angeles Public Library. She honored this commitment even though her husband, who had also been her business partner and companion of many, many years, died in the interval—a month or two before the speaking date. She was exceptionally gracious and charming, a woman not at all taken by her fame or defeated by her loss, and the librarians responded enthusiastically to her presentation. Perhaps Hollywood is not always or automatically a corrupting influence!

>Urrrgggghhaaaaa ya got me, Patron. Nuns are weeping. (Actually, I met Funke once and she couldn't have been nicer.)

But I am unnerved still that she "developed" her novel with a movie producer.

3. Susan Patron says:

>Okay, but in the hands of a powerful writer such as Funke, a cinematic quality in a book may not be such a bad thing. I say let's wait and see!

4. cornelia funke says:

>Hi Susan,

thank you for coming to my defence- I feel very very honoured!:) all the best from London to LA, which I can't wait to get back to on sunday

and

Hi Roger,

i did of course expect comments like yours when I started working with Lionel three years ago – and I warned him that we would get loads of them. It's the very first time that I travelled into a new world and had a creative companion by my side and I enjoyed every single minute of it. I found it to be quite a challenge to discuss characters and their world and story not just in my own head but with a collaborator and I love to challenge myself as a writer. Lionel IS a movie producer but – yes, I know, it's hard to believe – i decided to work with him despite the fact he is and not because of it (he also studied literature in Oxford:) As Susan says it can in fact be very inspiring to as a novelist work with someone who for years told stories on a screen and in the dramatic form. This collaboration turned out to in fact so inspiring that I can't wait to do another book together.
    Whatever…I guess the book itself will have to convince you that I didn't went hollywood. But thanks for making me blog for the very first time in my life:)))) another new experience.

all the best from London,
    Cornelia Funke

>Welcome to the arena, Cornelia ;-) If you have time, could you say a bit about "development" as opposed to "co-authoring"? For example, are the two of you thinking ahead to a movie as you write the book?

If you (and anyone) are in the neighborhood, Susan and I are going to be speaking at our mututal alma mater, Pitzer College, in Claremont CA on February 19th. Come on down!

6. Cornelia Funke says:

>Hi Roger,

first of all, that event in Claremont sounds very tempting. I may have to be in NY but if not I'll be there.
    As for your question – that's an interesting one and I'll come back with a proper answer as soon as I am back in LA on monday. There is so much to say about this! But for now I have a date with my daughter.

all best from London,
    Cornelia

7. Cornelia Funke says:

>Hi Roger,

I am back to LA and as promised here is an answer to your question. I tried to not make it too long though it's such an interesting process to talk about.

So…..
    what does this mean- developing a story together?
    I am a writer (as I think many children's book writers are) who loves what she is doing. So why share this blissful routine with somebody who deals with schedules and conference calls and all the stress and obstacles of doing movies? For sure not the wish to have another novel made into a movie. I did have this experience six times by now and very much enjoyed it, but I have to say: writing is so much greater a treat and thrill!

After writing over 50 books and writing stories by myself for over 20 years, what an adventure to be collaborating with another incredibly creative mind! One can do Yellow, the other one Blue, and suddenly together -how very exciting-you can do Green! What a treat to build and travel imagined worlds together, to fight over the ideas you have and the characters you meet on the way, to explore the maze of imagination with someone else, who
    is quite a different person and quite a different temperament.

The writing of course is still only done by me. I take the chest of treasures we fill, steal away to my writing house – and weave them together with words. It's been quite a magical process and I very much hope the readers will enjoy the result as much as I did writing it down and watching it
    take shape in such an unusual way.

okay, hope this explains a bit. This will be my last blog for now as I have to get back to the illustrations for Reckless 1 and playing with ideas for Reckless2 – with Lionel:)

all best from so glad to be back to LA-Cornelia

8. >Roger you are a pompous bore. On the rare occasions when I read your posts, I always feel like I've wasted a lot of time.

>Glad you are back, Cornelia. I have always heard mixed things about collaboration–some writers find it invigorates them while others try it once and swear off the idea forever. Enjoy the work–and the sunshine.