On Friday, October 17, 2014, at 6:00 PM, Porter Square Books is hosting (at the Brattle Theatre) David Valdes Greenwood, in conversation with Cary Elwes, author of As You Wish. A Princess Bride screening follows the talk (screening begins at 8:30 PM).
We asked Mr. Farmboy himself our Five Questions, to get in the “sexy fairy-tale” spirit. We will refrain from quoting lines from the movie. Though we could. All day long. (NB: Roger has never seen The Princess Bride. Inconceivable, right?!)
1. My childhood best friend and I saw The Princess Bride in the theater and we can still quote long passages from it. What from the experience still resonates most with you?
CE: The whole experience resonates with me which is why I decided to write this book, but if I had to pick one thing it would be a person and that would be Andre.
2. Princess Bride fans must stop you all the time. What are some of the weirdest, funniest, or most memorable things they say?
CE: I met a family once who named all their children after the characters in the film.
3. Have you watched the movie with someone who’s never seen it before? (The ROUS scene is fun!)
CE: I have not, but I am looking forward to sharing it with my daughter in the near future.
4. Celebrity today is not what it was in 1987. How do you think your life would be different if The Princess Bride came out in 2014?
CE: I have no idea…
5. You’ve written a book about a movie that was first a (wonderful) book. Are you a reader?
CE: Of course. I read the original book of The Princess Bride when I was thirteen and I thoroughly recommend it as a companion book to mine!
James Lipton, you can have your job back now. Though it’s been fun to chat with movie stars.