Come one, come all. The polls are now open!
Here (and in the ballot button above) is your link to the ballot where you can vote until 9 a.m. EST tomorrow (Friday, January 23). We set up the ballot so you will vote for your first, second, and third place books, because that is how the actual Caldecott committee will be voting. Vote tallying is a somewhat complex matter with a point system that gives 4 points to first place votes, 3 points to second place, and 2 points to third place votes. Tallying the ballots involves a fair amount of math. Happily, Robin enjoys this task and even enrolls her second graders as math checkers. If you are interested in the finer points of this tallying system, here is a page with all the details, from the Caldecott manual.
Tomorrow at noon we will post the results of the first ballot and tell you what will be on the second ballot (open Monday a.m. to Tuesday a.m. EST). The real committee would keep discussing and voting until there was a clear winner: one book that gets first place votes from more than half the committee. But we have such a large group here that this would never work for us. We’ll cap it at two ballots and then declare the winner and honor books.
For those who want to think some more before voting, see the list below for a reminder of what is on the ballot (above).
I also promised Robin that I would once again wag a finger at all of you who might be inclined to use social media to drum up votes from all your friends and relations. We DO want you to spread the word to others who know picture books, but please be aware that even 5 or 6 votes from people who are just doing someone a favor can sway this vote. We would rather it reflect what the real committee is doing: voting only after considering each book very carefully. Okay. Enough lecturing. Now it’s your turn to weigh in, both in the comments below and by clicking on the ballot.
Reminder: Calling Caldecott 2015 First Ballot Titles:
- The Adventures of Beekle (Dan Santat)
- All Different Now (E. B. Lewis)
- Bad Bye, Good Bye (Jonathan Bean)
- Blizzard (John Rocco)
- Buried Sunlight (Molly Bang)
- Draw! (Raúl Colón)
- The Farmer and the Clown (Marla Frazee)
- Firefly July (Melissa Sweet)
- Gaston (Christian Robinson)
- Gravity (Jason Chin)
- Hug Machine (Scott Campbell)
- The Iridescence of Birds (Hadley Hooper)
- Josephine (Christian Robinson)
- Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads (Lane Smith)
- A Letter for Leo (Sergio Ruzzier)
- My Bus (Byron Barton)
- My Grandfather’s Coat (Barbara McClintock)
- Nana in the City (Lauren Castillo)
- Neighborhood Sharks (Katherine Roy)
- The Pilot and the Little Prince (Peter Sís)
- The Right Word (Melissa Sweet)
- Quest (Aaron Becker)
- Sam & Dave Dig a Hole (Jon Klassen)
- Viva Frida (Yuyi Morales)
- Winter Bees (Rick Allen)